Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best older, used sewing machine? >

What is the best older, used sewing machine?

What is the best older, used sewing machine?

Old 06-07-2011, 07:14 PM

Still thinking about my Brother problem...

Am thinking I would like to have a used older model Pfaff or Viking or Janome or Bernina....

What's your opinion on this? Still needing help!!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:21 PM

Do a search here on the QB for those machines. There is a ton of information here on all of them.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

For piecing, I think it's hard to beat a Pfaff because of the built-in walking foot. For me, I love my Bernina 1230. It's hard to go wrong with either of those brands.

My sister has a later model Pfaff (maybe 5 years old) and it is more "plasticky" than my metal Bernina, I don't like the curve in the base (that holds the attachments), and I don't like the placement of the foot lifter (different from other machines). However, if I weren't used to my Bernina I would *love* sewing on that machine! It has an incredible decorative stitch selection and sews and quilts beautifully.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:26 PM

My wife and I are sold on Pfaff. Smooth running, IDT, German engineering, they are just great machines. We bought my wife's machine new, and mine used. We haven't had any trouble out of either of them that threading correctly or changing the needle didn't fix.

Darren
Old 06-07-2011, 07:35 PM

I'm a family of Janomes and I'm sold. I bought mine new and got a special deal because I saw one online for much cheaper and got it at the online price through the dealer. My mom also got hers new, and I've never had problems with either machine. They both sew like a dream!

I have sewed on a Pfaff and a Viking before and both sew pretty much exactly the same as my Janome.

I have no experience with Bernina as the Bernina dealer is so snotty and is so rude to newbie sewers that I just haven't had thick enough skin to go in there and give one a go. Not to say that Berninas aren't good machines, of course!

Hope that helps!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:44 PM

Any of the older machines that have all metal parts are really pretty good machines. My family has an assortment of pre- 1965 machines , Kenmore, Singer , White, Viking, Bernina all are still running , many can be purchased for under $50.00 . Go to a local Sew and Vac they typically have a good amount of trade in's and will usually give you some kind of warrenty. It surprising how many of the older machines are just work horses and will just run for seemingly forever. When it comes down to it most of our sewing is just a straight stitch.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 PM

I have an older Viking Turissa 2840 that is my favorite back-up machine, but I'm having trouble finding parts for it. The older machines are great, but be sure there are still parts out there for them. I bought mine on Ebay for about $50.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:42 PM

Thanks for all the help.... I'll post a picture of whatever I wind up with. Everybody is the area is searching for me now..
Old 06-07-2011, 08:44 PM

I think the IDT is what's selling me on the Pfaff now. People really do love piecing on these, and that's the main thing I'm looking for, too.
Thanks so much! I'll post when I find mine...
Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 PM

I have a 25 year old Bernina 910 and I love, love her!! I know that most new machines can do things that she never even thought of, but she is dependable ( I have never in 25 years had to take her in to be fixed), she is not picky about thread, I don't do anything with the tension ever, and it is always perfect. Every time I sit and sew, I love her more. She is all metal and heavy so a year ago I found a FW to use on the go. I obviously love my Bernina, but I would trust any of these brands, especially the older models.