Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: what is the best sewing machine?

I purchased a Brother "project run-away"from our local WM $150.00. It is the fussiest machine I have ever dealt with. If I were to purchase a real machine, what would you suggest? Price around$ 500.00...quilting pattern choices... I want this to be a retirement gift to myself.

Blog Entries
    There are many topics already about this , so use the search button to check out prior posts :lol:

Also do you have a LQS where you can go try out some machines ? Make a list of things you want the machine to have. Needle up or down.... Be able to move the needle manually.... drop feed dogs ..... etc...

Let us know when you get it narrowed down to a few machines :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Check out the Sears Kenmore machines. They are made by Janome, and many quilters like Janome, but the Kenmore branding is sold for less.

Also consider going to a dealership and buying a used machine that someone has traded in on a newer model. You can often get considerably more bang-for-your-buck this way.

Whatever machine you consider, bring in our own fabrics, a test quilt sandwich, etc. and spend at least an hour sewing on the machine to make sure you like it before you buy. Make sure the tension does not need to be adjusted when you switch from thin to thick fabrics, and that it does everything you need it to do.

Bernina hands down!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    There is no "best" machine, just like there is no "best" car or washing machine, or any other electronic equipment for that matter. Each sewing machine has a set of features and a certain craftsmanship that may or may not work for you.

I, for example, used to swear by Pfaff, but have been disappointed by the newer Pfaffs, so I switched to Babylock. In my research I encountered and test drove Singer, Viking, Brother, and Janome, and none of them worked for me. Does that mean they are "bad" machines. Nope, they are just not the right machine for me.

Good luck on the next machine and enjoy the research (that is always my favorite part).

Quote Originally Posted by hospicenurse
    I purchased a Brother "project run-away"from our local WM $150.00. It is the fussiest machine I have ever dealt with. If I were to purchase a real machine, what would you suggest? Price around$ 500.00...quilting pattern choices... I want this to be a retirement gift to myself.
    I went to my lqs which also services and sells machines. They have many used machines which were traded in for new ones. I got a Bernina, a woman had bought it and returned it several days later for a better machine. I got it at a used price - the bags of accessories were never opened. Keep your eyes open! (It is my favorite machine!)

I think the best machine is the best one that a person can afford to buy. Some brands are easy access, where others cater to larger pocketbooks.

Blog Entries
    go around to sewing machine stores and test drive them

I actually like the older ones I got at rummage sales best. They are all metal, work great, and great prices, some FREE! One of my favs is a Necci I paid $3.00 for!! And an old Japan model from the 50's was free, sews great, and is CUTE!!!!!!!!!!
    Good luck finding a great machine!

The best one is the one you feel comfortable with,whether, old, new, with or with out bells and whistle.

Blog Entries
    One that sews a perfect seam, runs smooth, has perfect bobbin winding tension, rarely ever needs repair and you can do the yearly tune up yourself. That's why the Singer 301 is my favorite machine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    There are many topics already about this , so use the search button to check out prior posts :lol:

Also do you have a LQS where you can go try out some machines ? Make a list of things you want the machine to have. Needle up or down.... Be able to move the needle manually.... drop feed dogs ..... etc...

Let us know when you get it narrowed down to a few machines :thumbup:
    There ARE lots of topics on this but none of them as current as this one! I didn't know about the Kenmore/Janome connection. Good to know!

i love my Juki and would buy another in a heartbeat.

i have a juki 98Q for machine frame quilting and i have a F600 for piecing/sewing.

they are built to last and they aren't expensive.

the 98Q cost $600 and the F600 cost $850

Blog Entries
    How fancy is your Juki? I'm asking because my m-i-l needs a new machine. The folks on this board always have good suggestions!

I'm in love with my used New Home 6000. Quiet, dependable, and easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    Check out the Sears Kenmore machines. They are made by Janome, and many quilters like Janome, but the Kenmore branding is sold for less.
    I didn't know this.
    I have a Kenmore and have been very happy with it. My daughter has a Singer (it's nicer than my Kenmore) and she's happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by reach for the stars 2
    The best one is the one you feel comfortable with,whether, old, new, with or with out bells and whistle.
    And one that you will enjoy sewing on. If it isn't fun you won't want to use it.

Nothing wrong with used machines. Do what your budget allows you to do.

ali

Blog Entries
    Interesting that many folks share how much they love their used machines. Me too!!

So, how did my husband woo me? During a quick visit to our local Sew-n-Vac for a hose, he spotted me eyeing a sweet New Home 6000 in their used machine area. I thought he was kidding when he told the sales gal to ring it up. Yep, he bought it for me. I LOVE the way that machine sews! Compared to my Brother, it's a smoothie.