Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what is the best sewing machine? >

what is the best sewing machine?

what is the best sewing machine?

Old 06-22-2010, 06:49 AM

I purchased a Brother "project run-away"from our local WM $150.00. It is the fussiest machine I have ever dealt with. If I were to purchase a real machine, what would you suggest? Price around$ 500.00...quilting pattern choices... I want this to be a retirement gift to myself.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

There are many topics already about this , so use the search button to check out prior posts :lol:

Also do you have a LQS where you can go try out some machines ? Make a list of things you want the machine to have. Needle up or down.... Be able to move the needle manually.... drop feed dogs ..... etc...

Let us know when you get it narrowed down to a few machines :thumbup:
Old 06-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

Check out the Sears Kenmore machines. They are made by Janome, and many quilters like Janome, but the Kenmore branding is sold for less.

Also consider going to a dealership and buying a used machine that someone has traded in on a newer model. You can often get considerably more bang-for-your-buck this way.

Whatever machine you consider, bring in our own fabrics, a test quilt sandwich, etc. and spend at least an hour sewing on the machine to make sure you like it before you buy. Make sure the tension does not need to be adjusted when you switch from thin to thick fabrics, and that it does everything you need it to do.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

Bernina hands down!
Old 06-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

There is no "best" machine, just like there is no "best" car or washing machine, or any other electronic equipment for that matter. Each sewing machine has a set of features and a certain craftsmanship that may or may not work for you.

I, for example, used to swear by Pfaff, but have been disappointed by the newer Pfaffs, so I switched to Babylock. In my research I encountered and test drove Singer, Viking, Brother, and Janome, and none of them worked for me. Does that mean they are "bad" machines. Nope, they are just not the right machine for me.

Good luck on the next machine and enjoy the research (that is always my favorite part).
Old 06-22-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by hospicenurse
I purchased a Brother "project run-away"from our local WM $150.00. It is the fussiest machine I have ever dealt with. If I were to purchase a real machine, what would you suggest? Price around$ 500.00...quilting pattern choices... I want this to be a retirement gift to myself.
I went to my lqs which also services and sells machines. They have many used machines which were traded in for new ones. I got a Bernina, a woman had bought it and returned it several days later for a better machine. I got it at a used price - the bags of accessories were never opened. Keep your eyes open! (It is my favorite machine!)
Old 06-22-2010, 04:36 PM

I think the best machine is the best one that a person can afford to buy. Some brands are easy access, where others cater to larger pocketbooks.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Google Goddess

go around to sewing machine stores and test drive them
Old 06-23-2010, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

I actually like the older ones I got at rummage sales best. They are all metal, work great, and great prices, some FREE! One of my favs is a Necci I paid $3.00 for!! And an old Japan model from the 50's was free, sews great, and is CUTE!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck finding a great machine!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:11 AM

The best one is the one you feel comfortable with,whether, old, new, with or with out bells and whistle.