Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: What is the best Stack and Whack book?

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,211
    I'd like to buy a Stack and Whack book. Which one do you think is the best?

  2. #2
    Super Member maine ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    3,002
    I would recommend "Stack and Wack Quilts" by Bethany S. Reynolds.

  3. #3
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,088
    Blog Entries
    1
    There are several of them, different patterns in each. Maybe check for used copies and get more than one? :D:D:D

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,211
    I like the way you think!
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    There are several of them, different patterns in each. Maybe check for used copies and get more than one? :D:D:D
    :lol:

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,211
    Thanks for the recommendation.

    Quote Originally Posted by maine ladybug
    I would recommend "Stack and Wack Quilts" by Bethany S. Reynolds.

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,211
    Is Bethany Reynolds book Stack n Wackier better than Stack n Whack book?

  7. #7
    Member bikermom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Central Louisiana
    Posts
    93
    Magic Stack-n-Whack Quilts by Bethany S. Reynolds is a recent purchase for me, so I can't tell much other than the reason I bought it is because it appears to be an excellent guide for a beginning quilter like myself.

    I placed the link below for you because there are "63" written reviews on Amazon.com by quilters on the book!

    http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Stack-n-...7129187&sr=1-1

    This book looks like one I will be getting in the future after having read some of the 6 written reviews...

    http://www.amazon.com/Stack-n-Whacki...ref=pd_sim_b_3

    24 customers reviews on the following Stack-n-Wackier book for you to check out...
    http://www.amazon.com/Stack-n-Whacki...d_bxgy_b_img_c

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,014
    I suggest starting with Bethany's pattern of Kaleidscope pinwheel. It was the original design. Easy to do and if you like it you can go from there. less $$ to invest unless you get it on Amazon. I prefer the simpler versions.

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,211
    Thanks for the recommendation. Where do I find this pattern?
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    I suggest starting with Bethany's pattern of Kaleidscope pinwheel. It was the original design. Easy to do and if you like it you can go from there. less $$ to invest unless you get it on Amazon. I prefer the simpler versions.

  10. #10
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have her Stacknwhackipedia which has lots of different pattern ideas and very clear instructions for stacking, cutting etc and how to chose fabrics. For the One Block Wonders you need one of the Maxine Rosenthal books and there I'd say it depends which you prefer - hexagons or octagons, and if you like the cubes.. Octagons and hexagon basics are in the first book, the second two are only hexes and cubes.

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,211
    Well, you have certainly made some gorgeous quilts. Did you use Maxine Rosenthal book patterns for those? Should I begin with one of her books, or is it best to begin with Stack-n-Whack or Stacknwhacipedia to learn the technique?
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    I have her Stacknwhackipedia which has lots of different pattern ideas and very clear instructions for stacking, cutting etc and how to chose fabrics. For the One Block Wonders you need one of the Maxine Rosenthal books and there I'd say it depends which you prefer - hexagons or octagons, and if you like the cubes.. Octagons and hexagon basics are in the first book, the second two are only hexes and cubes.

  12. #12
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dee
    Well, you have certainly made some gorgeous quilts. Did you use Maxine Rosenthal book patterns for those? Should I begin with one of her books, or is it best to begin with Stack-n-Whack or Stacknwhacipedia to learn the technique?
    Thank you! In fact all the quilts I have made have been from the Maxine Rosenthal books, except for a couple of generic kaleidoscopes that I just kind of winged! The fabric choice, layering, cutting etc is about the same in both books. It's the layouts that differ. If you want to do OBW, definitely get one of those books. IMO most ppl go wrong at the design stage and there are lots of tips in the books to set you on the right path to producing your layout! The OBW books are more technique-oriented - it is much more a process than a book saying 'to get a quilt this size and shape, take 5 yards of fabric A and 4 yards of fabric B and do this etc...'

    On the other hand if you like the idea of doing hexes, squares, fans, diamonds etc, all with sashing between the blocks and specific patterns giving yardage requirements, finished size of quilt etc, go for the Reynolds book.

    Or like amma said, try to bag a bargain and get them all! Amazon often has books listed 'used' that are hardly touched - I get a lot of mine that way! :D

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,211
    Thanks so much for your detailed explaination of the difference between the authors. Yours is the best description I have found. Very helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dee
    Well, you have certainly made some gorgeous quilts. Did you use Maxine Rosenthal book patterns for those? Should I begin with one of her books, or is it best to begin with Stack-n-Whack or Stacknwhacipedia to learn the technique?
    Thank you! In fact all the quilts I have made have been from the Maxine Rosenthal books, except for a couple of generic kaleidoscopes that I just kind of winged! The fabric choice, layering, cutting etc is about the same in both books. It's the layouts that differ. If you want to do OBW, definitely get one of those books. IMO most ppl go wrong at the design stage and there are lots of tips in the books to set you on the right path to producing your layout! The OBW books are more technique-oriented - it is much more a process than a book saying 'to get a quilt this size and shape, take 5 yards of fabric A and 4 yards of fabric B and do this etc...'

    On the other hand if you like the idea of doing hexes, squares, fans, diamonds etc, all with sashing between the blocks and specific patterns giving yardage requirements, finished size of quilt etc, go for the Reynolds book.

    Or like amma said, try to bag a bargain and get them all! Amazon often has books listed 'used' that are hardly touched - I get a lot of mine that way! :D

  14. #14
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    Your welcome! Just be sure to post pics of the results when you decide what to get and make! :-D

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,211
    Oh No! Now there's pressure!
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Your welcome! Just be sure to post pics of the results when you decide what to get and make! :-D
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

  16. #16
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dee
    Oh No! Now there's pressure!
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Your welcome! Just be sure to post pics of the results when you decide what to get and make! :-D
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Yes, and I'm keeping note so don't think I'll forget! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.