Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Is/Are BOM? >

What Is/Are BOM?

What Is/Are BOM?

Old 02-17-2012, 06:11 AM

Default What Is/Are BOM?

I've seen the board for it and receive emails from different sewing sites about BOM. Do you make a different block each month and put it into a quilt?
Old 02-17-2012, 06:20 AM

Yes, thats what BOM means. You make a different block each month .
Old 02-17-2012, 06:30 AM

The whole idea is to learn different blocks. Someone comes up with a size for the blocks and perhaps a theme. There can be different levels of skills involved. They might specify a certain color scheme or it might just be scrappy. You should be able to choose what blocks you want to make and how many. It should include both basic and more complicated blocks. Ideally you should be challenged not pressured to complete the blocks and hopefully learn from and enjoy the process.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

some BOMs charge a fee every month. they can get very expensive. you might want to start with one that is free until you decide if you like the process
Old 02-17-2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
some BOMs charge a fee every month. they can get very expensive. you might want to start with one that is free until you decide if you like the process
This is very true and if you do a search on the board there are many threads discussing this. I agree that it is good to start with a free block of the month (there are quite a few online) and use your stash. It is a good way to learn new blocks and also stay on track to getting a quilt completed.

I personally do blocks of the month programs for a specific type of fabric. I am IN LOVE with the Daiwabo Taupe fabrics. I have done two block of the month programs just because I love the fabric. I enjoy doing the blocks because they really bring out the beauty of the material but I care less about the block design than the fabric. If a BOM is within one's budget/what they would be willing to pay I think it is a nice way to make a quilt with a certain fabric theme or line.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:10 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I belong to a few BOMs but they are costly. I found a free BOM with onscreen tutorials. It is wonderful. She shows you the easy way to make each block. And you can go back to her classes any time you want forever. It's http://www.craftsy.com/class/The-Cra...f-the-Month/50. Check it out. She does two blocks each month and the way she does them, you could make both in one day easy.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:27 PM

They can be a way to slowly do a quilt, just don't do one with starrfabrics as they will never send you blocks I had gotten one two months late, the lady was extremely rude to me. I ended up not even getting the whole set after all was said and done. It actually works very well if you receive your blocks on time