Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What bothers you   when making a quilt? >

What bothers you when making a quilt?

What bothers you when making a quilt?

Old 07-17-2015, 05:01 AM

The fact that I rush into something and do it wrong because I was not being careful enough! Happened recently on a quilt for grandson so I just continued on with the fabric upside down.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:10 AM

Mis-cutting!!! Drives me nuts! It was using Stonehenge fabric, mis-cutting half the pieces needed for my niece's wedding quilt and scrambling like crazy to find more of the same fabric, that taught me this VERY expensive lesson. I am glad to say that I have become much better at double checking the pattern, triple checking the line on my ruler and making sure my ruler is anchored before touching anything sharp!
Old 07-17-2015, 05:14 AM

Putting blocks together in the wrong order after I just spent time arranging them to my liking on my design wall.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:19 AM

I stall when it comes to sandwiching the top, batting and back. Can't stand it. I have 7 tops to complete.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
bobbin running out when chain piecing and not realizing it for quite s stretch
I do this all the time and it drives me crazy! It always seems to happen either when a) midway through the second to last piece right before dinner is ready, or b) after some kind of annoying problem has just been resolved and I've gotten into a groove (like fighting with fabric, my machine, or incorrect cutting, you name it). I always think to myself, wow, this is really efficient and going well, the bobbin is probably going to run out any second, and yep, sure enough. Either that, or the dog has to go out.

I'll rarely rip things out to fix, but I've recently been attempting to learn paper piecing. I kept sewing the right side of one piece to the wrong side of the other, or cutting the pieces just a wee bit too small. Picking out paper pieced stitches is really annoying, especially if you're trying to save your pattern paper. Sigh. I am finally learning quilting while in a rush is a really bad idea for me. I have to focus and take my time, otherwise I have issues.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:38 AM

I'm with toverly! I love doing the piecing, binding, etc., but getting the backing ready, cutting the batting and sandwiching have become difficult.....can't get down on the floor.....it is a job to take it somewhere where there are big tables....

BOO HOO!
Old 07-17-2015, 05:43 AM

I seem to get in a hurry to finish and that is when all heck breaks loose. I am working on patience. Goodness, I am retired after all. No more deadlines to meet.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Seaside gal View Post
Putting blocks together in the wrong order after I just spent time arranging them to my liking on my design wall.
I do this too. I started taking a picture on my cell phone of the arrangement and then prop it up next to my sewing machine so I don't mess it up. I have also taken two blocks that were supposed to be next to each other and just sewn the wrong sides together, so instead of A->B I end up with B->A. Then I end up having a debate with myself it it really makes that big of a difference and should I just leave it or not. The most confusing pattern I've ever put together is called pixie sticks and is from the moda bakeshop. My quilt ended up with two blocks out of order/upside down (third row down, last two green blocks on the right). I didn't notice until it was sandwiched, but I just left them, it was a gift for a friend that was very suddenly diagnosed with cancer. I didn't have time to fix it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]525375[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_4417_zpsettvnavv.jpg  
Old 07-17-2015, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
What bothers me is that I am using a 1/4" foot with a guide and I move my needle over 1 so I'm getting a scant 1/4" so that is good - right? Well, somehow my blocks never end up even or if there are points, I loose the points when I put them together. So my new motto is "make it bigger and trim it to size!" Waste a little fabric - keep my sanity.
I agree. I've done everything right, got the scant set up just so and still the blocks are off. But what's really weird is some will be right and some won't. Must be the quilting fairy coming in and doing the right ones over night. Haha
Old 07-17-2015, 06:03 AM

Alas! My downfall seems to be adding the borders to finished off a quilt top. I really like taking classes because of the wonderful teachers I have encountered, and I like the camaraderie with fellow students. I can get the main part of the top finished during the class (usually), but when it comes to adding borders, I stall out. Our guild president has issued a challenge to complete a UFO each month during this year. When I went to make out my list of twelve UFO's, I found that I had a dozen (!!!!) tops which only needed borders. Some of the borders had already been cut and folded neatly inside the top; others had been folded neatly with the uncut border fabric inside. I spent four days adding borders and got my entire list done for the show and tell portion of our meeting. If it's that quick and easy to do, why, oh, why, do I hesitate so much? I guess I could do quilt tops without borders, but I like the look of a piece of art work inside a frame.