Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What brand for batting? >

What brand for batting?

What brand for batting?

Old 11-11-2009, 07:26 PM

I just bought Warm and Natural at Joanns. Queen size, regularly $19.99, on sale for $9.99, plus I had a Veterans Day coupon (good all week) for an add'l 10% off. Ya can't beat that!
Old 11-12-2009, 01:40 PM

Some of the battings reference "scrim"......what is this?
Old 11-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by msoop
It's a very thin but strong layer of fibers through which the batting is needlepunched. As far as I know, this layer is nonwoven rather than woven. It is a very fine layer, but strong. When batting is needlepunched through it, the batting stays put and the batting becomes very stable -- no migrating, no thin and thick spots.

Warm n Natural is an example of a batting needlepunched through scrim.

Its biggest problem is that the scrim tends to make the batting more difficult to hand needle. In the case of WnN, it also makes the drape of the batting a little more stiff. The advantage of a batting needle-punched through scrim is that it is very, very stable and does not need to be closely quilted to retain its shape through many washings.

Quilters Dream is an example of a batting that is needlepunched, but not (to my knowledge, anyway) through scrim. I think this manufacturing method keeps all the advantages and eliminates the disadvantages of needlepunching through scrim.

However, I'm not an expert on batting by any means! This is just what I understand from reading information here and there about batting over the years.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Administrator

i have never seen or tried bamboo, so don't have an opinion.

i love Quilters Dream batting. i haven't tried any of their poly or blends, but the 100% cotton is pure joy to work with. i don't do much hand-quilting, but it's been great the few times i've tried. like most, it's pricey but, if you can afford the cost up-front, you can buy it by the case to save money over the long-run. QD offers a poly batting made from recycled plastic bottles. If i was going to chose a batting based on environmental issues, that would be the one for me.

my second choice is Warm & Natural (or White). it's been easy to work with, it's easy to find on sale, and feels like it will hold up well over time.

when cost is the biggest factor, i skip batting altogether. i buy dirt-cheap polyester blankets. less than $5 for a twin size - which can be enough for at least two baby quilts. i wash them first. they're not as easy to work with as cotton batting, but much easier than traditional poly batting.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i have never seen or tried bamboo, so don't have an opinion.

i love Quilters Dream batting. i haven't tried any of their poly or blends, but the 100% cotton is pure joy to work with. i don't do much hand-quilting, but it's been great the few times i've tried. like most, it's pricey but, if you can afford the cost up-front, you can buy it by the case to save money over the long-run. QD offers a poly batting made from recycled plastic bottles. If i was going to chose a batting based on environmental issues, that would be the one for me.

my second choice is Warm & Natural (or White). it's been easy to work with, it's easy to find on sale, and feels like it will hold up well over time.

when cost is the biggest factor, i skip batting altogether. i buy dirt-cheap polyester blankets. less than $5 for a twin size - which can be enough for at least two baby quilts. i wash them first. they're not as easy to work with as cotton batting, but much easier than traditional poly batting.
patrice, where do you find the blankets and do they come in king? $$$$
Old 11-16-2009, 03:19 PM

I was using MORNING GLORY 100% cotton punch needle batting (in the pink/clear plastic bag.) It can be quilted up to 5-6 inches apart and not come apart. When washed AFTER quilting, it shrinks up for a lovely heirloom look. Was great for hand or machine quilting. Got it @ Wal-Mart but they have discontinued it. I have called the company and it is sold at HOBBY LOBBY (we don't have those stores in Pacific NW ) in S. W., mid-west and eastern states! Will have to have AZ friend send me some....
Old 11-16-2009, 03:30 PM

I find if I am using a cotton or 80/20 to hand quilt it is much easier to quilt through if it is needle punched. I use to use polyester all the time for hand quilting until I tried the needle punched, it really makes a difference. I seldom use polyester anymore for hand quilting.
Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by msoop
It's a very thin but strong layer of fibers through which the batting is needlepunched. As far as I know, this layer is nonwoven rather than woven. It is a very fine layer, but strong. When batting is needlepunched through it, the batting stays put and the batting becomes very stable -- no migrating, no thin and thick spots.

Warm n Natural is an example of a batting needlepunched through scrim.

Its biggest problem is that the scrim tends to make the batting more difficult to hand needle. In the case of WnN, it also makes the drape of the batting a little more stiff. The advantage of a batting needle-punched through scrim is that it is very, very stable and does not need to be closely quilted to retain its shape through many washings.

Quilters Dream is an example of a batting that is needlepunched, but not (to my knowledge, anyway) through scrim. I think this manufacturing method keeps all the advantages and eliminates the disadvantages of needlepunching through scrim.

However, I'm not an expert on batting by any means! This is just what I understand from reading information here and there about batting over the years.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:12 PM

http://www.quilternatives.com/Quilte...d_Batting.html

you can look at this for some more information.