Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Brand Sewing Machine Do You Prefer >

What Brand Sewing Machine Do You Prefer

What Brand Sewing Machine Do You Prefer

Old 10-28-2013, 07:16 PM

I also have a Pfaff Expression 2.0. My 1/4 inch seams used to always be just too big, even when I moved the needle in a notch. (It looked like I needed to move it in two notches, which would have the needle hitting the side of the foot.) I bought a new 1/4 inch foot and that fixed the problem. Maybe that would work for you?

It turned out that the one with the flange was wrong. The flange was just attached incorrectly. It left me with a seam that was too big. I am now using one without a flange, and it is working well for me. Probably it was just that one individual foot, and any other 1/4 foot with a flange would do just fine. (How do I know the flange was attached wrong...my husband told me after he compared the old and the new foot. He even said he could fix it, but I have a foot that works for me now. No need to mess with the other foot.)

Hope this helps....and I hope you solve your problem. It is sad to not get the seam right when you are trying so hard, and if buying a new foot might fix it, wouldn't that be nice.

Dina
Old 10-28-2013, 07:42 PM

Before you purchase another sewing machine, do you have a 1/4 inch foot with guide?It makes my piecing so easy and accurate. Another thing that might help, I bought a seam ruler with marks for a scant 1/4 inch, a full 1/4 inch, and other marks so that the sewer can have exactly the size seam that they want. I bought the seam ruler on e-bay. Another thing I found very helpful for cutting is June Tailor's Shape Cut Rulers. I cut perfect strips. Do you engage the built in walking foot when piecing? I, too, have a Pfaff and a Bernina and a couple of Brothers. I have the 1/4 inch foot with guide for ALL my sewing machines. Have you had your sewing machine checked over recently? Before spending thousands on a new sewing machine, I would take it in and make sure that nothing is wrong with it. If nothing is wrong with the machine, then getting a new sewing machine probably won't help.It's how you are either cutting or pressing the blocks. Make a simple 9 patch and then measure the block.If it isn't measuring correctly, it is possible that instead of making a 1/4 inch seam, perhaps you are sewing a 1/2 inch seam. As far as a sewing machine improve your accuracy, I think you are going to have to check your seams as you go along making the block. I think you will find out pretty fast what you are doing wrong. Good luck!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:56 PM

I have 3 Babylock machines and get consistent 1/4 seams when I set my machine up correctly.
Love my machines.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:07 AM

I have , juki, janome, singer, bernina featherweight, vesta. Viking ,brother looking for a pfaff next. Each machine has its own special features I a sure you they are all beautiful. Buy one you enjoy working on not that someone else likes. Go and try as many at dealers and friends. The pfaff was being used by a friend last week and she lives it.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:08 AM

Thank you all for the information and tips...I will work on them!:-)
Old 10-29-2013, 03:36 AM

Just to add. I have two 1/4 feet with guides. Neither of them give a 1/4 seam. They are off big time. Well big time in piecing standards. That's why I switched to using a tape line guide. I set mine up so I don't butt the fabric against the tape but so I line the edge of the fabric up with the edge of the tape. Zero issues unless I start sewing with neon green fabric lol.

If you use a 1/4 foot definitely check your seams. It wasn't till I joined this board that I realized my foot wasn't doing what I thought it was.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:28 AM

Dove, do you have the quarter inch foot for your machine? I've had my PfaffQE 2044 for about 11yrs and use this foot for all my straight stitching. Another thing you might try, spray sizing on all fabric before it is cut and or stitched. After reading about doing this for years, I got on the bandwagon, finally, and am having better results with my current quilt project. It takes a lot of sizing but the $1.25 a can is worth the price.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:32 AM

I first started out with the Singer than Simplicity, now my Latest is the Elna I love it bought it at the
Houston Quilt show 2yrs ago.My Singer & Simplicity had to have to use them on occassion can't
do without either one. By the way I also have my 2 girl's Singers which I use to keep them in shape.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:39 AM

I have been quilting since the mid 7o's. Started out on a Riccar. Have had a Kenmore, various Singers, Brother, Viking, have a Janome and 5 years ago bought a Bernina before I retired. I have to say the Bernina is the very Best. I love the 1/4 in. foot. I don't have to have any tape on my machine. You get a scant 1/4 in. every time.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:50 AM

Older Pfaff with vertical bobbin and PQ 1500. I measured the guide lines on the Pfaff when I bought it, they are spot on, so tape is good. If you want to piece rapidly, Pfaff does have a single stitch foot plate. For any other stitches, like a zigzag or blanket stitch for binding, I use the open toe foot. The one drawback to the 2100 series is no mechanical adjustment for foot pressure. That's where the 1500 outshines the Pfaff.

I've owned other machines - but for years, starting with the 1471 I had, only Pfaff let you do your own stitches. I'm not limited to what is on the machine.