Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is it called? >

What is it called?

What is it called?

Old 12-30-2012, 05:02 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Leigh-on-sea, UK
Posts: 36
Default What is it called?

Can you see my living and dining room, can you, can you? Do you know why they are turned upside down and no, it is not because I am taking down my tree and decs?

Well, I will tell you, I have lost a pattern for a quilt which I bought from the WI at Ally Pally at the Knitting and Stitching show a couple of years ago... strike that it was probably four or five years ago. Now I don't want the quilt pattern but I do want their technique for putting it together in order to create a sampler quilt for my blog.

As far as I remember each block was made almost all the way to completion then sewn together with the seams on the reverse being covered with sashing to create a clean back but I cannot remember if this was slip stitched or machined in some way... does this technique (or something like it) ring bells with anyone? I thought that this would be a great way to start beginners off and to use up all those odd shaped scraps I have in my bag of scraps that are to big to be thrown away but to small to do anything really useful with...

I would be so grateful if anyone recognises what I am talking about... it will stop me having to go under the sofas... and yes, I have googled too.
RosMadeMe is offline  
Old 12-30-2012, 05:07 AM
Power Poster
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 12,468

sounds like a quilt as you go- or Cotton Theory quilt- there are tutorials here, on u-tube, all over showing how to add the sashing between blocks- just look up either 'Cotton Theory Quilting' or quilt as you go.
basically- you stitch the sashing strips to one side of a block- fold it out to cover the seam between blocks and stitch down on the second block- some people whip stitch this by hand- many machine stitch them- some use decorative stitches.
ckcowl is offline  
Old 12-30-2012, 05:09 AM
Super Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Alaska
Posts: 2,355

Are you referring to Quilt as you Go method? I remember seeing something on the board about this method.
KarenR is offline  
Old 12-30-2012, 05:39 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Leigh-on-sea, UK
Posts: 36

I think it is a variation of this... thank you both for being up so early and giving me the answer

Now anyone know where my hoover is, I need to get my rooms looking like normal!
RosMadeMe is offline  
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
09-28-2010 03:52 AM
Up North
05-31-2008 06:28 PM
05-28-2008 07:12 PM
04-01-2008 12:20 PM
11-08-2007 07:17 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

FREE Quilting Newsletter

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.