Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What Can Be Done? >
  • What Can Be Done?

• What Can Be Done?

Old 08-06-2018, 11:08 AM

Start by using a window or counter cleaner on the outside of the machine. Smoke tar may have created a film on the case and you may not get rid of the smell until you get rid of the film.
    Old 08-06-2018, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH
    My husband put a burning carton of eggs in our refrigerator (no lie) and nothing would take the odor out, not even professionals.
    Whoa, wait, hold up!!!! I want to hear that story!!

I agree with the ozone generator, although it's a bit of a uni-tasker. It's what hotels use when someone smokes in a non-smoking hotel room.
    Old 08-06-2018, 11:46 AM

I was given a sewing machine cabinet by a neighbour who smoked. Heavy smell! I wiped it down several times with vinegar and water. The first few rinses were brown, probably all the nicotine embedded on the surface. But after several more washes, no colour in the rinse and now no smell. Don't know how you would attack a machine this way, though. Good luck!
    Old 08-06-2018, 02:53 PM
    Power Poster

I have a janome MC4800 and it is a great machine. good luck with the smell. hope it goes away for you.
    Old 08-06-2018, 03:15 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Whoa, wait, hold up!!!! I want to hear that story!!

I agree with the ozone generator, although it's a bit of a uni-tasker. It's what hotels use when someone smokes in a non-smoking hotel room.
    It's a true story. He was cooking eggs on high heat (gas range) and the carton caught on fire and he didn't notice it when he returned the carton to the fridge! What a nightmare. Now it's funny but it wasn't at the time.
    That ozone gizmo worked wonders.
    In case you didn't notice he has ADD
    Old 08-06-2018, 03:35 PM

I love my Janome 6600 - I don't how to get rid of the smell but it would be worth the effort because its a good machine.

I don't use my foot pedal I just use the start stop button .. I like doing that better
    Old 08-06-2018, 07:04 PM

Since it is all hard surfaces a good scrubbing down with a rag damp with diluted pine sol or similar cleaner until no more yellow tar comes off ought to do it.
    Old 08-06-2018, 07:10 PM

I worked on my SIL old Janome (New Home) machine which was not only saturated from cigarette smoke,but also had been in damp basement so mildew a problem. The case was made out of fabric, so first thing was to simply pitch that into the trash. also, toss any thread from bobbin, etc. Then take a damp vinegar soaked clothe and wipe all surfaces--and make sure you get all the nooks and crannies, too. Repeat that process until no smoke smell Be sure to open up the bobbin area and wipe it down too, ditto the plug in cord, etc. Basically all surfaces. should work. I strongly suggest you do this clean up outside--I did not even bring my SIL's machine inside until after I cleaned it up--sure did not want my house smelling like that!
    Old 08-06-2018, 07:27 PM

I have seen others suggest wadding up newspapers and fill in all around it. They just closed up the item and left the newspapers in there for a while, several days I think. First, I would clean the outside of the machine until there was no nicotine left on it.
    Old 08-06-2018, 08:06 PM

You may want to take the plastic cover off of the machine motor to wash the machine’s interior. It may not be coated as much as the machine’s exterior, but you can be sure the smoke did get inside. If it isn’t obvious how to take it off, your repair tech could probably show you how to do it. Either that, Or YouTube.