Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is in this case and how do I get it out? >

What is in this case and how do I get it out?

What is in this case and how do I get it out?

Old 09-30-2011, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Wish I lived closer my son can pick just about any lock, dont ask me how I know and no Im not proud of him for it but it does come in handy. He learned how to do it when he was 12. Public schools teach our kids wonderful hobbies!
My son knows how to pick locks too and he was homeschooled! Believe me I didn't teach him that, but it does come in handy sometimes. Thank goodness, he only uses that skill to help people with legitimate reasons to get into whatever is locked!
Old 09-30-2011, 04:00 AM

You could try using a heavy wire and bend it so it catches the the metal tab that unlocks it. Back when these cases were made they were easy to brake into. I had to unlock my Grandma's sewing machine for her many years ago.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:00 AM

I get one of the same at an auction and got it cheap because they could not open it. When we go home my husband took a small screw driver and was able to turn the mechanizim inside the lock to open it with damaging the machine or the lock. Never have had a key. Good Luck.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:03 AM

She was manufactured in 1935. She is a Model 128 with the LaVincendora Decal. Now I'd like to find out where she was manufactured! Would be lovely to make another connection of how trade was conducted in this island country in the 1930's. Newfoundland was an independent country until 1949 so that kind of thing fascinates me!

hmmmm.... how do I find this out?
Old 09-30-2011, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mamagus
She was manufactured in 1935. She is a Model 128 with the LaVincendora Decal. Now I'd like to find out where she was manufactured! Would be lovely to make another connection of how trade was conducted in this island country in the 1930's. Newfoundland was an independent country until 1949 so that kind of thing fascinates me!

I don't have any direct answers for you. Though when I was looking for Featherweight info one day, I did see that some were made on the Rock! Not sure if other Singer models were or not? So perhaps you have a "native" machine! Wouldn't that be great?
Old 09-30-2011, 04:10 AM

Every time I see those wooden cases I think of my mother. She had a Singer in one of those. I have no idea whatever became of it. My father remarried after she died and I don't recall ever seeing it again. Someone on this board probably has it! LOL
Old 09-30-2011, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

Very pretty machine!
Old 09-30-2011, 04:16 AM

Mamagus, what a GREAT score! She's a beautiful machine...looks like a 28 or a 128... and the serial number will tell where she was made...when you look at the shuttle, does it have a metal button to push to pop the shuttle up?

What is the serial?
Old 09-30-2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by Mamagus

I don't have any direct answers for you. Though when I was looking for Featherweight info one day, I did see that some were made on the Rock! Not sure if other Singer models were or not? So perhaps you have a "native" machine! Wouldn't that be great?

I saw that St. John's was mentioned somewhere... but I though that there must be another one somewhere!
Old 09-30-2011, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Mamagus, what a GREAT score! She's a beautiful machine...looks like a 28 or a 128... and the serial number will tell where she was made...when you look at the shuttle, does it have a metal button to push to pop the shuttle up?

What is the serial?
Y9465105 and yes there is a little silver cross-hatched button that is to the right and near the top of the opening.