Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What causes tiny folds or puckers at cross seams >

What causes tiny folds or puckers at cross seams

What causes tiny folds or puckers at cross seams

Old 04-10-2011, 04:41 AM

I notice that being a bit off grain causes a tiny pucker but once the quilt is quilted it seems to be okay.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:08 AM

If you notice that the seam is going to pucker you need to ease it in before you get to seam. It is usually caused by uneven pinning and smoothing of the layers. When you are doing FMQ you can make your "loops" smaller or larger to accommodate any discrepancies.However, it's easier to make sure it is basted well before you start and ease in the difficult bits.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:13 AM

Unfortunely my "Quilt Decor" ??? model machine does not have the option of changing the presser foot pressure...wish it did
Old 04-10-2011, 07:06 AM

Try stabilizing the entire quilt sandwich by bringing it under the needle at or near the center of the quilt. Then SID from the center out to the edge of the sandwich. Next, bring the quilt sandwich BACK to the center where you started and SID in the OPPOSITE direction to the edge of the quilt.

Continue this procedure where you can in your blocks or rows. Then, begin with any other quilting pattern you want. I do it this way and never have puckers 'cause the fabric no longer slides.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:32 AM

There was a YouTube video that had a woman explaining that it was the presser-foot pressure that caused these puckers. If the pressure put on the walking foot is too much, it causes the walking foot to get out of synch with the feeddogs underneath. I'm sorry I don't have the link, but maybe a google search would help you find it. It might have been on this board but I don't know how to search here.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:49 AM

Thanks for asking this question I needed all this information. I was ready to give up now I think I'll try these suggestions!
Old 04-10-2011, 09:04 AM

Did you check your walking foot to make sure it was engaged properly. I had that problem once and noticed that I didn't have the little arm on the foot over the thumb screw that held the needle in. I took it off and repositioned it and it worked fine.

sassy granny
Old 04-10-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Blackberry
Yes, I know your frustration. My brother CS6000i was also sold as a quilting machine. In fact, it came with the walking foot and the FMQ foot. I am going to keep working on the FMQ method but I will have to make big loops or some large design so I have a little puffiness in my quilting which I like.
:thumbup: I'm with you! Got to have the puffiness!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:04 PM

have you tried increasing your stitch link when SID I set my machine stitch link on 3 normal is 2.5 also if you have a serpentine stitch it is a very nice quilting stitch that I always use instead of just stright stitch in the ditch
Old 04-10-2011, 07:35 PM

Hmnnn...what is the serpentine stitch? I can do FMQ but have trouble staying in the ditch when doing the stitch in the ditch and I even bought the special foot for it. My machine also has the built-in pressure sensor so there is no adjustment for it.