Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What color cutting mat is the best?

Blog Entries
    I have read old posts about what kind of cutting mat is the best but I was wondering if there is a color that works for all fabrics. I have a gray June Taylor and it is hard with a lot of colors for me. I have seen white ones but they don't feel self healing. I don't really like the green ones. Lately I have seen a bright yellow and pink ones but not in the 24 x 36 inch size. Opinions??

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I have one of the white ones and don't use it anymore. It's good for jigsaw puzzles though hahaha
    I have the green mats and love them.

I have a blue one by Dritz but I am not happy with it. Makes it hard to see the edge of dark colored fabrics. Personally, I like the green Olfa mats. I have the bright colored one you are referring too and don't waste your money on them. They are very thin and cut easily. Plus the bright colors make them a bit hard to look at for extended periords of time. I do like the June Tailor mat I just wish they would make it a lighter gray.

I have the green and the gray. I like the green the best!

I have the green Olfa and LOVE it!

I have a big green one, a big white one, and two small ones: lt. pink and purple. I use the green one the most. I use the smaller ones when I travel.

I have a green Olfa and I prefer it to my mom's white one. I cannot use my rotary cutter as well on the white one.

I have a green, a blue and a gray -- The green is my "go-to" board. I don't know why.

Green olfa is the best for me

I started out with a smaller grey one, but now i really only use a green one with yellow markings.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I have the June Taylor mats in purple, grey, blue and one that is yellow on one side and green on the other side. They are all in different sizes. I use them according to the size project I'm cutting. I like them all.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by cherylynne
    I started out with a smaller grey one, but now i really only use a green one with yellow markings.
    The green OLFA cutting mat is the Lexus of the quilting industry. It is the one truly self-healing mat; all the others are knock offs, some are worse than others.
    Most of the others WILL dull your blades faster than necessary, so buying one of them for its cheaper price will cost you money eventually.
    Olfa mats have been around much longer than quilters have been cutting with rotary cutters; they were a staple in the engineering field for years before we found them.
    Take a good look at the very large white/opaque cutting mats at your local quilt store; they are usually covered with gray grooves at the 1/4, 1/2, and 1 yard marks from the constant cutting and failure to heal. It's a fairly large expense for shops, the reason I used 2 largest Olfas, ducted taped together on the back, in my shop.

Jan in VA

I'm an Olfa fan all the way.

Yep, nothing but Olfa here. Love it.

I love my green cutting boards. Work great for me.

Was the smaller grey mat you started made by Fiskers? I think their mats dull the blades faster but I attributed it to my cutting ability.
    Liz

Green Olfa

What brand is the grey mat?

Blog Entries
    I have green, gray, purple, blue, yellow, bight pink, opaque white and white. I like the pretty colors more then the green, gray or white, they all work just fine for cutting. When I see a new color mat I buy it.

What color matches your decor? lol
    I have a two sided one - green on one and yellow on the other. I like them both and change them around when I feel like a change of scenery :D

Blog Entries
    I personally like June Tailor mats for ease of cutting. The rotary blade does not cut into the mat but rolls on top. Some think this dulls the blade but I think cutting into the mat dulls the blade faster. I may get a few more cuts using 'either or' of the different mats. That is not worth my time thinking about saving a blade for a couple more cuts.

I am glad someone asked. I was thinking the other day about mats. I have one that I keep on the table section of my quilt frame. It is an old Dritz, almost clear with black markings. I could swear it was some kind of plastic and it was hard on the rotary cutter blades. I quilt using it and put it on the table to keep it flat and out of the way. I do not think it was self-healing. It says: "Super Cutting Mat" The number 1042 appears in the upper left corner of the label on the back. The store sticker has " N 193-9396" and the price was $14.50. I have no idea when I got it. Does anyone else have one of these and do you think it dulls the blades?

June in Cincinnati

Blog Entries
    As far as color, I really like the white mat from JoAnn Fabrics. However, I do not like the material that it is made from. I made slits on it ever time I used it, even when the cutter wasn't new.
    Therefore I use the green ones also!!

Blog Entries
    I have had my Olfa mat since the late 70s!

Blog Entries
    I have a Fiskars mat that is green on one side and yellow on the other. When I can't see, I flip it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast