Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Color Fabric is Hardest To Find? >

What Color Fabric is Hardest To Find?

What Color Fabric is Hardest To Find?

Old 11-13-2010, 04:33 AM

I went looking for Rose, also, and couldn't find it. Also wanted Peach - light orange was all I could find. It's hard to be a quilter.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by justme2
After looking in 2-3 places, I can usually find the shade of whatever color I need.
Last wk I was stumped trying to find rose color yardage.The stores have pale pink,hot pink,reddish pink ,a purple pink....but no rose.
Was afraid to trust colors on line & finally bought the 2yds I needed. It's close, but still not the perfect rose. :roll: :roll:
Whatever color I really need is what is hardest to find. When I'm just browsing, lots of fabrics look great, but when I have a very specific need, nowhere to be found :(
Old 11-13-2010, 07:10 AM

Red is traditionally a hard color to match...so always buy enough when you are doing something red.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:58 AM

I wonder if the manufacturers of the ink for dying are color blind or that the person dying the fabric doesn't leave it in the bath for the right amount of time. I find it very hard to match red. Because of the different shades, when I find the red I like, I buy the whole bolt. Same goes for green. Whoever heard of Kelly Green looking like olive. Guess I'm a little bit irish. I like the real thing. St. Patrick would be shocked that his Kelly Green is not carried out a true Kelly Green.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:18 AM

I wanted to make a king sized quilt for someone special. Her color is navy blue, so I decided to make a blue- work quilt. I had such a hard time finding navy and white material. There was alot of navy with other colors in it. But I finally did find it and in the process of putting it together.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:20 AM
mim

Originally Posted by Prism99
Colors go in and out of style regularly. For a long time it was impossible to find yellows. That's one reason why quilters build a "stash".
I once made a quilt that used 22 shades of graduated pinks -- I had to buy over 30 pieces to get the right pink -- there are blue, yellow, beige and all sorts of off shades. And I don't even like pink!!! But the lady had been wonderful when my DH was terminally ill.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:40 AM

I did a "Mississippi" quilt, a shape of the state in fabric pretaining to something about Mississippi, for example, Elvis, cotton, crawfish, and the three Universities. The one hardest to find was USM, which happens to be 5 miles from my house so you would think the local fabric/quilt shops would have it, NO. I had to buy it online
Old 11-13-2010, 09:26 AM

Light red that doesn't look pink. I did learn the trick to try the back of some fabrics if working with a large number of graduated colors. Sometimes you can luck out.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:30 AM

Hi!! New here. Been lurking for a while. Anyway. If I really need a matching color (Quilt for son, Lavender) I finally ended up dying the fabric for the color I needed.
And Hello to all the other quilters here. I'll try to get pic up as soon as I figure out how. LOL
Old 11-13-2010, 10:39 AM

I have 66 different purples on my site, 2 peaches (yes they are hard to find), Black on Black tone that is 108" wide, some grays that are under the "black" color. www.beautifulquiltfabric.com