Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What color flannel??

What color flannel do you suggest for my flannel board in my new room? I am thinking black will make anything I put on it look nice.

I'm thinking white so your fabric shows it true color. The black might bleed through.

Blog Entries
    Also all those "stray" threads on black are gonna drive you nutz! (or at least they would ME!) I'd stick with white. It's your board-make it what ever color suits your fancy!~

Blog Entries
    Personally, I'd use white or off-white because that is the color of most batting and the color of the batting can influence how the top looks. White fabric (and other colors too) will look different on a black flannel than it will on a white flannel.

I like off white, not to bright or dark.
    Ninnie

White or off white would be my choice.

Blog Entries
    I'd go with off white or white also, particularly if the wall is constantly exposed. I wouldn't want to look at a "black hole" in the middle of my room. Might be depressing.

Are there directions someone could recommend for constructing one? I would think it is just a wood frame with the flannel stretched over and stapled? Would you use batting to make it a little padded? Or is it over a sheet of plywood or something?

I have a 5 bedroom house, live alone, and I'm thinking of taking out two walls and adding one in the middle of the 3 small bedrooms on one side of the hallway to make 2 larger rooms. I need more room in my sewing room. Can hardly turn around with two tables, ironing board, shelves, etc.

pittsburgpam the way I am making mine is with the thick 1" foam insulation board you get from the home store. They are four feet by 8 feet and weigh nothing at all. I will cut mine so that it is four feet by four feet and cover each peice with flannel then "hinge" them together so they stand like a book on end. I am thinking I will use elastic to hinge them. That part is still fuzzy in my mind at this point. But they are easy to put something into if need be.

Thanks. :)

As for the color of the flannel I think it should be the color of what will be behind the finished top... batting in white or beige.

I just bought a long curtain rod and installed it right onto my wall. I believe it's 96 inches wide. I used warm and natural , made a sleeve in the top of it and it works great. I just let it hang like a curtain would. It covers most of one wall and my blocks never fall off, unless a really big gust of wind comes in the window. (Yikes, that sends my sewing room into quite a tail spin.) I figure I'll replace the warm and natural yearly and just use the old piece in a quilt. I buy the 109 in when it's on sale at Joanne's or with a coupon.

Blog Entries
    I just use push pins (clear) to put up white flannel. Holes won't show if I want to take it down or move it. Works great and was CHEAP!!! :lol:

Power Poster
    Much to my surprise, some famous quilter (sorry, don't remember who) was using a beige or gray background.

The walls of the Quilt Museum in Paducah, kentucky are sort of a grayish tan (if I remember correctly). Definitely were not white.