Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What color thread to quilt this???

What color thread to quilt this???

I have the top all pinned and ready to quilt but can not decided what color to use.. I only have white and ivory quilting thread..I didn't know if I should go and buy another color

This picture is before I put the borders on, the first border is white and the second one is the light purple..

Do you think ivory or white would look ok? I will be doing a, all over quilt design, maybe a swirl or stippling

Thanks for your help
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am no help in recommending thread color....lol...I always rely on my LA but I remember her always telling me she stays away from "white" when quilting. With that said, this quilt is gorgeous!!!
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Your quilt is beautiful! I am partial to adding white fabric in my quilts, so I do quilt most all of mine with white thread. Your quilt .. your rules! Let us know what you decide.

Blog Entries
    Are you quilting by machine or by hand?

When I can't decide on a color, I pull some of the thread loose, lay it across the quilt and see if I like it. Almost any thread that you would sew with can be quilting threads if you are doing it on the machine. I don't know that I would use a cream on a white fabric. It might tend to look dirty.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Power Poster
    Lovely top! If you are a really confident quilter, then white would be fine and really show up in the dark sections. If you are not quite as confident with your quilting, I might go with a neutral like grey or lavender?

Thanks everyone, I will being machine quilting it on my sweet sixteen FMQ ...I never thought about lavender, thats a thought ....Thanks all

Yellow thread would look lovely on your beautiful quilt.

Your quilt is beautiful and I definitely would go with the lavender or white if that's all I had. Good luck!
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

i think I would go with a soft and little bit shiny gold like Glide thread.

Please no white or off white or beige or cream or neutral color thread. I think that looks so blah on a quilt. There are so many colors to chose for any quilt. I like a light lavender or any pastel color for quilts that are mostly white background. when I want the quilting thread to stand out I use heavier weight thread in any color that pops.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Beautiful quilt first of all. I think I would agree with some of the members here that maybe a light lavender would look nice. I think white would really be too bold but this is your quilt and whatever color you like is what you should quilt with. Is there anything such as verigated? I just always go with my LA quilter suggestions so I don't have to make that decision. Good luck

Light grey or silver on lavender/purple and green looks great. The silver on white is so pretty also.

That's a beauty!!! I guess it depends on the look you want. I love white and off white for most quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    Please no white or off white or beige or cream or neutral color thread. I think that looks so blah on a quilt. There are so many colors to chose for any quilt. I like a light lavender or any pastel color for quilts that are mostly white background. when I want the quilting thread to stand out I use heavier weight thread in any color that pops.
    Sometimes, you want your piecing to stand out and not the quilting, especially if the quilting is just a meander or a panto edge to edge.

The LAer who quilted my first quilt suggested yellow thread and I just took her word for it. I've always wished she had done it in white, which was the background color.

bkay

A thread of 60wt - 100 wt will let the pattern show and not the quilting thread. That is when I chose white or neutral thread color. I like Wonderfil, Aurifil or Superior, thin thread.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I would go with ivory or even ecru.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Take a walk on the wild side and go with the lavender. I started doing this and i really like it.

Your quilt is beautiful.

I'm with most, white. I use it a lot and off white. Your quilt your way.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Love this. I always love the stars in the dashing but have been hesitant to try it. Nice. Anxious to read what color suggestions are for quilting it.

I think a limey green would blend in well. Give it a try.

have you considered using invisible thread?
    Lynn

My "go to" colors when I can't decide have been a pearl grey, pale lime green, pale yellow or off white which I rarely use. Mostly use the lime green as I think it would work for your quilt. I used it on a red, purple with neutral background quilt once and was amazed how nice it came out. The pearl grey or pale grey works great too.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Blog Entries
    I may be the odd one out, but since I've only done stitch in the ditch or topstitching along the seam lines, I would start with the stars using white thread, then use green thread for all the green areas, and purple or lavender on the purple areas. I usually use 505 spray to stabilize the three layers, and then start in the middle as much as possible smoothing and repinning as I go. I like the piecing to be the focus, not the quilting. However i have seen some beautiful quilting but it is beyond my skill level.

I like the idea of light gray or lavender maybe a variegated. I have a variegated gray I like to use. Take your quilt to the store and audition different colors by laying the thread out on top of the colors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast