Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What color thread to stipple with >

What color thread to stipple with

What color thread to stipple with

Old 10-17-2018, 12:57 PM

Default What color thread to stipple with

I am planning to make a pinwheel quilt using black and bright color batiks (similar to what can be seen here: http://letsquiltsomething.blogspot.c...er-batiks.html).

I am in the process of gathering all of my materials. I typically piece and free motion quilt with the same thread (a neutral Aurifil 50 wt that blends in). I generally do a meandering stipple. I like how the quilt crinkles after washed. I don't think the neutral off white shade of thread is the best choice for this. I'm wondering if a variegated thread would be better? That asked, I also worry about adding that much more color - so thinking if variegated perhaps a yellow or orange variegated?

It occurs to me that it might be better to stitch in the ditch - but I have never done that outside of attaching the binding (and am trying to get this quilt done in time to give to my grandson at Thanksgiving). Plus, if I straight line stitch, then I think I will lose some of the crinkles that form around the quilting (which I like).

Thoughts on what color would be good to use? These colors are outside of what I normally gravitate too (but my grandson liked this quilt).
Old 10-17-2018, 01:18 PM

I'm dealing with the same questions on a quilt that has a black background but soft solids... I'm leaning to using black.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I'm dealing with the same questions on a quilt that has a black background but soft solids... I'm leaning to using black.
I thought about black, because then it will disappear into the black parts of the pinwheel. But I didn't know if it would muddy the rest, or be a nice contrast. Now you have me thinking about that again, I'm trying to picture it!
Old 10-17-2018, 01:55 PM

Here's the top I'm pondering, picture is the last post in that thread.

Black or White

I've decided to not use the polka dots for either the border or binding, I will be adding in one narrow row of black around the existing top so it floats a bit more. Found a great back for it, the colors are soft like the arrows, the black isn't as pure black as the front. Not sure yet if I'll be using the black for the binding or a black with white pin dot.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
I thought about black, because then it will disappear into the black parts of the pinwheel. But I didn't know if it would muddy the rest, or be a nice contrast. Now you have me thinking about that again, I'm trying to picture it!
Not knowing what size your pinwheel elements are, I have no idea if this is a realistic option ....
You mentioned the possibility about SITD.
What about doing that and then your stipple just on the block.
Then you could have the best of both worlds ... your crinkly feel and some poof on the colours.

Again, not knowing what colours you really are working with (IOW how close to the link you gave us) ...
A yellow on the coloured fabrics might work ... and let the black poof up.

Or stipple on both ... and flatten but crinkle it all?
Old 10-17-2018, 02:13 PM

That is very pretty! Do you do your own quilting on the long arm? Do you have plan for how you want it quilted? I like the idea of adding in the narrow border of black. Yes, our colors are very similar...

I know I am using bright batiks, planning to go this weekend to pick out fabric. I've never NOT done a border - but I'm kind of thinking the one I'm doing doesn't need it, that a border might detract. If I did do a border - I think it would also be a thin black one, just to frame it. But I might just settle for black binding.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:17 PM

Dawn, I think a turquoise darker than the turquoise fabric would go well with all the colors. Iceblossom, I'd like to see you use a nice yellow to gold on yours. Lay out some different colors of threads on your tops and you will soon see which way you want to go. Don't just lay a singe thread, make a little wad so you can get a better idea. I've used variegated thread twice now. Invariably there will be areas I'm not happy with so I don't use it anymore.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-17-2018 at 02:41 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 10-17-2018, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Not knowing what size your pinwheel elements are, I have no idea if this is a realistic option ....
My finished block size will be 9". I will be going 6 across and 7 down. I plan on getting colors that approximate the hues on the original quilt. Bright colors to pop against that black.

I think I need to put together a sample pinwheel sandwich and see how well (or not) I can do the straight line stitching. A mix could offer the best of both worlds!

I am ahead of myself here, planning to pick out fabrics this weekend. But since I know I will see my grandson at Thanksgiving, I'm trying to get all my supplies so that I will have this done. I tend to quilt mostly on the weekends, and I tend not to be in a hurry. Typically I buy the fabric for the front, then I decide on backing as I'm close to finishing the front (usually pieced from a mix of what is left from the front plus additional). Then I quilt it. Then I decide on binding. I kind of meander through the process, and might take a couple of months to complete a lap quilt.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by jokir44 View Post
Dawn, I think a turquoise darker than the turquoise fabric would go well with all the colors.
That was my fear on variegated - that I would like parts, but other parts not so much. I had not thought of a blue though. But I could see that too, it does go with all the colors.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-17-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

How about a shiny white or silver?