Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What color of thread would you use? >

What color of thread would you use?

What color of thread would you use?

Old 02-11-2013, 09:16 AM

Default What color of thread would you use?

I've made this quilt using close to the same colors - just more blue than green. Back is a dark blue/black swirl. I'm not sure what color thread to use for the top quilting. I've tried cream and that looks good except when I go through the solid blue. That part I'm not sure about. Thought about doing cream and then going back and top quilting the solid blue with dark blue thread. Back looks good with dark blue in the bobbin. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

http://www.clotheslinequilts.com/civilWar.php

scroll down to Vicksburg
Old 02-11-2013, 09:40 AM

A trick I learned from a friend is to take a bunch of the color thread you think you want to use, let it bundle up on top of the quilt across most of the colors and step back. Do that with each of three colors you want. Decide which one you like best and be fearless. Remember, almost no one will be looking at it as close as you will. I just took the spool and unrolled a bunch of each color in a section and stepped back. Why she said only three tops is it's too easy to get frozen with indecision. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by KarynneStorm View Post
A trick I learned from a friend is to take a bunch of the color thread you think you want to use, let it bundle up on top of the quilt across most of the colors and step back. Do that with each of three colors you want. Decide which one you like best and be fearless. Remember, almost no one will be looking at it as close as you will. I just took the spool and unrolled a bunch of each color in a section and stepped back. Why she said only three tops is it's too easy to get frozen with indecision. Good luck.
That is what my LA and I do when trying to pick out that 'perfect' thread. I usually tend to go towards variegated/blendable threads.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I use the same method, puddle thread on quilt top to see how it is going to look.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

My gut said to go with a light color (beige/neutral). But I think a variegated blue would look nice too. IT all depends on how much you want to feature the quilting.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

I often quilt with more than one color of thread. What I try to avoid is drastic value difference between top and bobbin thread. Cream on top with a navy blue bobbin would definitely give you some fits getting the tension just right. You will probably get pokies no matter what.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

I usually pick a color from the top that I like the most and use it. I only quilt for myself and am usually happy with my choice.