Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What colour thread best to use? >

What colour thread best to use?

What colour thread best to use?

Old 12-16-2008, 06:01 AM

Hi all, hope you are well?

Well, I have completed the pieced top that I am making into a duvet cover for my Mom. I am ready to baste it to a backing fabric and am going to stitch in the ditch, just to stabilise it. Since the thread won't be seen on the back inside the duvet cover, I want to use the most 'invisible' thread I can so it won't show on the front. I know that the stitches will disapear into the seams, but I've read that the best colour to use is gray, is this right? The colours of the top are red, yellow and dark green, what would be best to blend in on all of these?
Old 12-16-2008, 07:23 AM

I was watching this and hoping someone with more experience than me would answer. I'll put in my 2 cents though.

If you don't want to have any stitching to show the thread should match the color and if the back isn't going to show at all use the same thread so if any bobbin thread pulls through you won't know.

I do use gray or beige when piecing but for quilting I try to do a little more matchy matchy.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:28 AM

Gray is a good color to use. Since there are so many shades of gray, try to find a shade that will blend with your colors, not too dark and not too light.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:43 AM

See. I knew someone who knew more than me would come along.

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Izy

Mary, you can use monofilament which is see through :D
Old 12-16-2008, 10:36 AM

That's all true. Though the trouble I've had with monofilament is that it's "pokey" even after you've trimed and trimed and trimed all the little threads. The quilt I made this past summer has just now reached the point that it doesn't poke me when I mess with it, and I used it for the applique not even the quilting.

I think the end all be all key is do you want your quilting thread to be seen? If yes go with something that contasts, if not pick something to blend. :) In the case of the red, green, and yellow quilt you're working on any one of those colors would be good to use for quilting, and can look very pretty on the reverse as well.

I've found that buying a nice spool of one color for the quilt allows me to peice and quilt the entire thing, with a bit left over to use for other projects. In your case I seem to recall your sewing machine came with a whole bunch of thread, if it's cotton you can just pick whatever color matches that appeals to you.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Izy

On my big sampler quilt, I bought a variagated quilting thread which looked lovely :D
Old 12-17-2008, 05:48 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will try the grey...yes Elizabeth, I did get a lot of different threads with my machine, so I will have a look and see what blends best.