Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What To Do? Dye Ran... >

What To Do? Dye Ran...

What To Do? Dye Ran...

Old 12-13-2020, 10:50 AM

Default What To Do? Dye Ran...

I pre-washed with colour catchers until they were clear, made the quilt and now that I have washed it I have one block that is giving me grief for some reason.
So far, I have washed the quilt twice with colour catchers (both times, the catchers have a bit of dye), and I have treated the white on this block twice with Grandmother's Secret Spot Remover. It is a lot better, but obviously, still there and not getting any better.
So, I'm done trying to wash it out.
What would you do now?
Applique over the white outside box and then just re-quilt the free motion over top of that?
What type of applique?
I've only ever done raw-edge fusible.
Could you sew the 4 sides of the box with 2 pieces of fabric RST and then turn them, so there was no raw edges and then applique that on, to create the box?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Watson

Attached Thumbnails img_2240.jpg  
Old 12-13-2020, 11:07 AM

I've always had more success with Vickie Welsh's method of treating bleeders than I ever did with color catchers. I don't think it's too late to try it.
https://www.colorwaysbyvicki.com/upl...edingquilt.pdf
Old 12-14-2020, 10:33 AM

Can you remove the quilting from the center of this block and then rip out the stitching holding the white to the outer dark fabric frame? Then remake the inner part. Instead of using 2 pieces RST, use a piece of lightweight interfacing as the backing. Sew all around, slit the interfacing, turn right side out and press. Now you have a finished edge piece that you can match up to the original seams. I would blind hand stitch the new piece to the outer frame, then re quilt the center motif.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:27 PM

Thanks, GingerK...sort of what I decided on.
I made tubes the exact width of each side of the white square and pressed the seam open so it was on the bottom. I'm going to cut the underneath out, leaving the 1/4" seam on both sides and then Steam a Seam Lite 2 it on, folding over the ends that are open so there are no raw edges. Then, I'm going to FMQ over the block the way it was done originally. I think it will work.

I also Retayne'd the quilt this morning, so I shouldn't have any more bleeds.

Watson
Old 12-16-2020, 02:56 PM

I was at Walmart today and looking for Bounce fabric softener sheets and stumbled onto "Carbona Color Run Remover" ($2.28 ea.). I've never heard of it. However they also had several other products, including a color catcher type product. It might be worth trying when not in a pinch, to see how well it works.

bkay
Old 12-16-2020, 05:27 PM

Synthrapol
Old 12-19-2020, 03:40 PM

Success!
I applique'd fabric over the area where the colour ran and then FMQ'd the same pattern as the other blocks and I think it turned out pretty well.

Watson

Attached Thumbnails img_2250.jpg   img_2249.jpg