Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Fat Quarters??

How about making little zippered tote bags -- so easy. Look at "A Little Duffle Do It" by Karen West.

you could join a FQ swap. I love swapping.
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.
    Don't Cry Because It Is Over, Smile Because it Happened, Dr. Seuss

Blog Entries
    Nice..looks really difficult ..

Blog Entries
    Yellow Brick Road quilt pattern uses several different fat quarters.
    Becky

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
    How about making little zippered tote bags -- so easy. Look at "A Little Duffle Do It" by Karen West.
    Love it!!!!
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

I found free pattern sheet at Joanne's for an octagnal table topper that I used fat quarters. It is cute and was fun to do. Also, I've made several lap covers with them. They make a great scrappy quilt. If I ever figure out how to post pictures, I'll do that.

Turning 20 quilt.
    Beate Keith

Maybe try a zig zag quilt. Using some of your fat quarters with a solid.

I keep my fabric by color, and fold them over the 6x24 ruler. Honestly the fat quarters get lost in the yardage! Here is a challenge, if you decide to make a red and white quilt, look through your red and white fat quarters and see if they with other whites and reds would help make the quilt look more scrappy. I think you are probably in a very good position to try some scrappy quilts. You can do most quilts in a scrappy fashion. String quits are really popular right now, and I think you need to think of these quilts as dark, light or medium values--not so much the colors.
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

You are not alone! I'm also obsessed with FQs. I've a cabinet full of FQs and I dread to count how many I have inside! LOL. I usually buy them in bundles, good way to have a bit of every fabric in a fabric collection I love. The problem is, they are so pretty and matching, I couldn't bear seeing myself using them. As most have pointed out, there are endless projects you could do eg scrappy quilts, lap quilts, bags etc. I download most of my patterns from http://www.modabakeshop.com/search/label/Fat%20Quarters. I'm currently trying to use up as many as possible, so I have an excuse to buy more! :P

This is the first scrappy quilt project I did using FQs:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t123668.html

Have fun!

Yes I would suggest Bonnie Hunter as well. A few yards of a neutral and you'll be good to go.

Boxed Squares lends itself very well to a scrappy look. Several people here have done them with great visual success.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Power Poster
    i use mine to make baby quilts!!!!
    QUILTNMO

Quote Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
    I think that happens with most of us when we begin quilting. We want a stash so we just buy fabric without much of an idea of what we want, how we will use it or how to get a cohesive variety. I'm still using up stuff I bought under those "guidelines". Now when I buy fabric I get either 3, 6 or 9 yards so I can actually do something with it!
    I agree with Nammie to 7. She is so right. When I first started "collecting fabric" I wasn't as choosy as I am now and I too will buy 5 yards {if it's a good price and I really want it}. That way I know that I will have enough for the quilt and borders.

You could use them for linings in bags or make book covers for the school kids with them. Pillows, pencil cases, travel sized tissue holders or thread scrap bags for beside the sewing machine. Make flowers with them to embellish things, gift tags or luggage tags. Perhaps even key chain fobs! I love fat quarters! So many ideas...
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

I was looking at my stash and was surprised to see that I still have FQs left from nearly 8 years ago! I have been using so many, a lot of D9P but still I have a load, wonder if they breed

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Crafts View Post
    You could use them for linings in bags or make book covers for the school kids with them. Pillows, pencil cases, travel sized tissue holders or thread scrap bags for beside the sewing machine. Make flowers with them to embellish things, gift tags or luggage tags. Perhaps even key chain fobs! I love fat quarters! So many ideas...
    Just dawned on me while i was reading---------------FQs would be great source for yo-yo fabric.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    I have the same issue. When joining the board I went crazy with the FQ's. I participated in the swaps for FQ, F8, secret pal, etc. I know have box full of FQ's that dont match from all of those swaps. I decided that I was just going to wait until I got enough of them together and then I am going to make a scrappy quilt for myself of them all and then I will always have all my board friends with me in a sense. Even though I have all of those I still buy some when I see ones I like and especially if I find the bundles on sale. Love LOve LOve my FQ's

Favequilts posted this one today, something a bit different with Fat quarters http://www.favequilts.com/Christmas-...quilts20130921

When I made my "first" Disappearing 9 patch, I challenged myself. I used the 7 LEAST matching, very contrasting FQ's from my stash, only bought 2 "neutral" new FQ's. Cut the squares (yes, could have strip quilted, then cut!) did practice layouts, checked contrast by using the Black & White feature on my digital camera, then stitched every block the same. When I cut and rotated, shazam, all those no match fabrics worked very well together. For the backing, I used a beautiful "Bird" fabric that I just couldn't figure out what to do with!

The young woman who got that quilt for her new baby loves it, AND understands, I made it to be used. Baby has been to the beach, lake, other family members homes, all on top of that quilt. Given the colors involved and the HOT PINK thread used to do the "bubbles" quilting, I'll bet the baby is still staring at it!

Give yourself permission to make a quilt out of those fabrics and just let it flow. And remember, while the resulting quilt may not "float your boat" but if you give it as a gift, NO ONE ELSE will ever know or care that you didn't plan that quilt!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdegenhart View Post
    I did this one with Fat Quarters. Happy Dance by Me & My Sister Designs
    I love this quilt

Blog Entries
    I find that they will work for small projects and some scrappy things

Thanks Btiny. It is an easy pattern. I loved how it came out. You can't tell in the pic but the background is multicolored polkadat instead of white.

Try laying them out on the table and see if anything looks good next to something else. You may find that they go together better than you first thought.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I made a quilt called Yellow brick road that was easy and turned out nice. I used some FQ's and some fabric i had. You will be pleased with what ever you decide. Show us a picture of these FQ's.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast