Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what to do with fleece scraps?

Blog Entries

what to do with fleece scraps?

i am finding that i have some pretty good sized pieces of fleece leftover after i do some of my quilts. some are 1/4 to 3/4 of a yard. some are plain and some have patterns or designs on them. i cannot bring myself to throw them away. any ideas would be helpful.

Blog Entries
    you can make many things with them newborn baby hats and mittens you can also braid 3 strips together for an awesome chew tug toy for dogs stronger and neater than the ones you can buy in stores

Blog Entries
    I have some selvages and find I can use them to tie quilts if I roll them up for storage.

Name:  6 animal shelter quilts.JPG
Views: 3091
Size:  210.9 KBI make "quilts" for the animal shelters. Usually about 14" square with kitties in mind. I just use flannel, satin, minkee and other scraps quickly sewn to meet the dimensions. Then, I've been using two layers of TShirt material for the "batting" because the shelter discourages actual batting due to the mess if a "chewer" gets a hold of it. I was thinking of using leftover fleece as the "batting" for my next one. These are fun, quick, easy ways to use up scraps and help our furry friends. If interested, you can contact your local animal shelter to see if they allow fleece as the batting.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
Size:  210.9 KBI make "quilts" for the animal shelters. Usually about 14" square with kitties in mind. I just use flannel, satin, minkee and other scraps quickly sewn to meet the dimensions. Then, I've been using two layers of TShirt material for the "batting" because the shelter discourages actual batting due to the mess if a "chewer" gets a hold of it. I was thinking of using leftover fleece as the "batting" for my next one. These are fun, quick, easy ways to use up scraps and help our furry friends. If interested, you can contact your local animal shelter to see if they allow fleece as the batting.
    I've used it for batting as well on small wall pieces and such or just to practice FMQ. Around here, we call batting "the middle". And we have been known to use anything and everything as a "middle".
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.
    http://blockinaround.blogspot.com

QM
    I like to make raw edge applique animals on baby quilts with them.

You can sew them together like a rag quilt, either a single or a double layer. You can sew them together and use as batting. You can cut them into smaller pieces and use them as stuffing for stuffed animals. Lots of other good suggestions here.

Cut to make a rag quilt. Tiny pieces can be shredded and used to fill pillows.

Quote Originally Posted by sassey View Post
    you can make many things with them newborn baby hats and mittens you can also braid 3 strips together for an awesome chew tug toy for dogs stronger and neater than the ones you can buy in stores
    this is really neat. chew tug toys.Do you have a pic
    I make dog beds for the humane society and this would be an extra neat idea

My friend made one of these using fleece. My little grandson just loves it. So that is another idea.
    http://sewincrediblycrafty.blogspot....oft-block.html

Blog Entries
    I don't have any fleece, but when I get some I'm going to make hot cup holders. Take the paper holder (don't know what it's called) off the cup, use this as the pattern. Then cut them out, attach with Velcro. Use them the next time you buy a latte. You can keep it in your car for anytime you buy latte-to-go.
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

I've seen some really neat stocking hats made out of pieces - one of our guild members makes them for the homeless shelter.

Make mittens out of them! Very fast and easy. You can donate them if you have too many. Or cut lengths or cross and just fringe the ends for scarves... again donate if you end up with too many.

made a very scrappy "blanket" from 6" sq s. 15 years ago, backed it same way.....kids fight over it....tied that one...

You can maybe serge them together and use for quilt backing. Fleece is my favorite backing, to be used with or without batting.

Las Vegas, NV - transplanted from Southeastern PA
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, WINE IN THE OTHER, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

I put them edge to edge and zig-zag together to make scrappy quilts. I also make socks/slippers and mittens.

beverly
    I like to ride my bicycle
    I like to ride my bike ...

Quote Originally Posted by grammyp View Post
    I put them edge to edge and zig-zag together to make scrappy quilts. I also make socks/slippers and mittens.

beverly
    I do the same, but not edge to edge. I overlap the two pieces about 1 inch, and stitch about 1/2 inch from one edge. I cut most of my fleece into squares, I think about 9 inches, and made a 12 patch cat blanket / could be baby blanket. That way the "quilt" is reversible. I've made hats out of two different prints, and they were really cute.

Some people make mittens out of old sweaters. (Wool is washed to shrink before using.) They are lined with fleece and are very warm and very cute.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Make a comfy throw or pillow and donate it to a children's ward in hospital or ?

What to do with fleece scraps?

Quote Originally Posted by deedum View Post
    My friend made one of these using fleece. My little grandson just loves it. So that is another idea.
    http://sewincrediblycrafty.blogspot....oft-block.html
    I have made a lot of blocks of all sizes similar to this one. I generally do not put loops on as the tags; I sew together pieces of ribbon, rickrack, etc., so little fingers don't get caught in loops. I have donated them to an organization that helps young moms. Also, I have crocheted edges on pieces of fleece (usually 30x36 or larger) to use for a lightweight blanket. There is a 45mm cutter (skip-stitch) you can purchase that punches holes along the edge to make it easier to crochet. I saw this item thru a Project Linus site.

I sew them together so they are 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 yards long and then fringe around the edges. In October, there is a 'fleece-tying' party in the Twin Cities and the fleece quilts go to local charities, hospitals, etc.

sap

fleece scraps

I make "Woobbies". I sew 5 to 6 inch squares into long strips using a 3/4" seam, then sew all strips together. I don't worry about getting like colors side by side. After I get them all together I snip the seam allowances. Fleece don't fray like denim but will curl, the more it's washed.

Every one I've given one to says "NOBODY GOIN' TO GET BETWEEN ME N MY WOOBBIE".

Have you ever made one of those Tag or ribbon blankets? http://pinterest.com/theredpistachio...-tag-blankets/

Some of the best winter scarves I have are strips (9-12" wide, depending on your needs). Cut to the length you like and you have a scarf. Cheap, easy, warm.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
    Fleece as batting for quilts going to animal shelters is great! Remember that if you use it for the backing it's going to be covered in hair in no time. Probably not a good idea to do that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast