Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: What to do with HSTs

  1. #1
    Super Member ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    3,613
    Blog Entries
    9
    I have a lot of half square triangles(HSTs) . They are different colors,different sizes. I'd like to use them in a quilt. Does anyone have ideas on the kind of quilt that would use a lot of various colors and sizes of HSTs? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    15,782
    Blog Entries
    2
    me too, i want an answer.i have tons of them saved and have been thinking of putting them together since i never remember to encorporate them into any other quilt top.

  3. #3
    Super Member ginnie6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,314
    pinwheels! That's how i made my pinwheel quilt.

  4. #4
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    15,782
    Blog Entries
    2
    yes, they wouldn't even have to match completely in each pinwheel if I didn't have enough. hmmmm. thanks

  5. #5
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,170
    Blog Entries
    3
    check out the quiltville website. lots of free patterns for scrappy quilts.

    this is just one example of a way to use up HSTs:

    http://quiltville.com/playjacks.shtml

  6. #6
    Super Member danmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Parsons, Ks
    Posts
    1,652
    My Mom was just asking about the same thing. I went on the internet and made drawings of all the cute ones that I liked and thought that she might. They are all scrap quilt patterns, squares and hst's. They are all from www.quiltblocklibrary.com. Is it alright to scan them and put them on here?

  7. #7
    Super Member zyxquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    So. California
    Posts
    3,806
    Quote Originally Posted by danmar
    My Mom was just asking about the same thing. I went on the internet and made drawings of all the cute ones that I liked and thought that she might. They are all scrap quilt patterns, squares and hst's. They are all from www.quiltblocklibrary.com. Is it alright to scan them and put them on here?
    It would be better to post a link to the patterns, I think.
    I like to put HSTs all out on the coffee table & then just play around with them, twisting 'em this way & that, until I hit on something I like! :D

  8. #8
    Super Member danmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Parsons, Ks
    Posts
    1,652
    Quote Originally Posted by zyxquilts
    Quote Originally Posted by danmar
    My Mom was just asking about the same thing. I went on the internet and made drawings of all the cute ones that I liked and thought that she might. They are all scrap quilt patterns, squares and hst's. They are all from www.quiltblocklibrary.com. Is it alright to scan them and put them on here?
    It would be better to post a link to the patterns, I think.
    I like to put HSTs all out on the coffee table & then just play around with them, twisting 'em this way & that, until I hit on something I like! :D
    Watch for them then. I'll post them. Done! Here's the link!

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-39162-1.htm#861809

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    slowly going forward cuz' I can't find reverse
    Posts
    265
    depending on the size of the HST's, Jacob's Ladder would be a great way to use them.

  10. #10
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    15,782
    Blog Entries
    2
    some of mine are 2 inches.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    672
    I,too, have lots of small HST blocks (4cm square ufinished) that came out from the siggy blocks.
    They are all scrappy with white triangle. Since it is so scrappy, I want an answer for the good pattern for them.

    panda

  12. #12
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    15,265
    Blog Entries
    1
    Jacob's Ladder uses a lot of HSTs along with 4-Patches. You can either sort yours into stacks of like sizes or cut the larger ones down to a common size.

  13. #13
    Super Member Boston1954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East Oklahoma - pining for Massachusetts
    Posts
    8,162
    I would first separate by size and see how many I have in each catagory. If there are a lot more of one, I would make that my main block. The others, if they are smaller, could maybe be made into a fancy border, or even a pieced back.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Forest Grove,OR
    Posts
    6,573
    Blog Entries
    1
    Wish I could help out. Penny

  15. #15
    Super Member ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    3,613
    Blog Entries
    9
    Thanks everyone. I knew I would get lots of ideas here. I had looked at Quilter's Cache and googled but most of the blocks called for a consistent background. I liked the Basket of Chips block from Quilter's Cache. Hadn't even thought about looking at the quiltville site. Scrappy pinwheels and Jacob's Ladder are good ideas but I've already made those patterns so would like to try something different. I think I will start with Boston1954's idea...separate them into colors/sizes.

    Danmar, thanks for the link.....great blocks there.

  16. #16
    Super Member katsewnsew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    2,373
    I am going to try to make a coin purse and wallet out of my siggy hsts. Will post when I am finished. Haven't started yet, but the hsts are being saved for that.

  17. #17
    Super Member danmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Parsons, Ks
    Posts
    1,652
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger
    Thanks everyone. I knew I would get lots of ideas here. I had looked at Quilter's Cache and googled but most of the blocks called for a consistent background. I liked the Basket of Chips block from Quilter's Cache. Hadn't even thought about looking at the quiltville site. Scrappy pinwheels and Jacob's Ladder are good ideas but I've already made those patterns so would like to try something different. I think I will start with Boston1954's idea...separate them into colors/sizes.

    Danmar, thanks for the link.....great blocks there.
    You're quite welcome! And think about it, just because the pattern calls for "a consistent background", that doesn't mean that you have to do "a consistent background. Now I'm going to have to post another quilt that I did, to show you what I mean! There's really nothing "consistent" about me, except making quilts "MY Way"! Thanks!

  18. #18
    Super Member grma33's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Posts
    1,342
    Here`s what I started to do.
    Maybe use them in a scrap quilt border.
    These are 5 inch sq with border
    Gale
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NE Pa.
    Posts
    1,615
    I just finished a scrappy quilt using HST and I put all the dark side of them going the same way. I did not use any sashing and it gave a nice appearance when finished. Marge

  20. #20
    Super Member grma33's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Posts
    1,342
    mic-pa
    Picture Please!
    Gale

  21. #21
    Super Member ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    3,613
    Blog Entries
    9
    Yes mic-pa, would love to see a picture of your quilt.

  22. #22
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,837
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    yes, they wouldn't even have to match completely in each pinwheel if I didn't have enough. hmmmm. thanks
    i just a pinwheel baby quilt in all blues..last year..all different..

    this one pictured, is not mine, but one i saved for inspiration..i like the way it is laid out..different than ther regular pinwheels..

    HST's
    Name:  Attachment-5225.jpe
Views: 7
Size:  56.8 KB

  23. #23
    Super Member Rose Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Clay Springs AZ
    Posts
    3,228
    Just add some squares the same size and the possibilities are unlimited. Many star blocks are made this way.
    You can put two togather to look like flying geese.

  24. #24
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    15,782
    Blog Entries
    2
    since my left over hst's are probably different sizes i was thinking of putting background strips around them to make them all fit and they would look as if they were floating. i could even tilt some.

  25. #25
    Super Member ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    3,613
    Blog Entries
    9
    Nativetexan, I think that would be a good idea...may try it. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.