Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Do I do With Them? >

What Do I do With Them?

What Do I do With Them?

Old 10-22-2020, 03:35 AM

My little family has said they have enough. I have a closet full and I also donate. I have an overwhelming stash and I am so happy for it. It has kept me busy and happy at home during this pandemic. It is my hobby and I am so thankful for it. I have never sold a quilt.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:22 AM

Watson - your work is always beautiful. I agree with those who suggested Etsy. It might be a perfect way to give your hobby a boost!!

For me, I too have a smaller family and no Grand kids. Those family and friends who "want" one have already received several full sized quilts and wall hangings. In this forced covid confinement times - I have begun to do smaller quilts with small (4" or less ) blocks and table runners. I have had lots of fun with them and has kept me busy. I also joined a online Small Quilt Group with author Kathleen Tracy and she has had monthly challenges as well as a yearly mystery quilt. The genre is a bit different for me as most of her quilts are Civil war fabrics - but I have had fun and learned a lot.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:37 AM

I have five children, 21 grandchildren and 20 some great grandchildren so finding a recipient is not a problem. Someone is always getting married, having a baby, joining the military or graduating from college. I haven't been able to do any high school graduations yet. I've made donation quilts for the church and Cystic Fibrosis, too.

If I had your talent and your problem, I would find a way to sell quilts.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:20 PM

I have a large family but I still quilt for myself. I have 3 quilts for every bed in my house that I change periodically. I have wall hangings, tablecloths, table covers, throw quilts and pillows. I never worry about what I will do with the quilt. I learn something each time I do something new and you can never have too many quilts. I have bought cotton muumuus at yard sales and made beautiful quilts. I will take other quilting friends scraps and use them. You don't have to spend a fortune on quilting. ENJOY!
Old 10-22-2020, 10:48 PM

You all have made me feel better and helped me see that I don't need a purpose for each quilt.

I also may begin posting them on our local Facebook Marketplace and Kijiji and see if I get any bites.

Watson
Old 10-23-2020, 02:38 AM

I like Murphy224’s suggestion as well... I try to donate one or two throws or queen size per year to Healthy Kids preschool (for special needs children) and to a cancer fundraiser hosted annually by a local business. I am also going to send a quilt to a group that is providing quilts to the fire victims in California or Oregon. If anyone needs information, PM me for the link.

I have only kept one of my own quilts thus far...between DH and I, we have 3 sets of kids and their spouses and because of the our age difference, he has older grandchildren and I have babies so no problem gifting. And, because of the wonderful relationships I have with my kids’ friends and nieces and nephews, I can keep busy with my hobby.

Tartan, you do beautiful work and I’m sure many would appreciate your creative talent, whether it be on Etsy or your local charity.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:08 AM

I donate all the quilts I make to the Linus project or to a friend in the VFW and she donates them to the cancer unit at the local VA hospital. The Linus project will also take just the tops and finish them.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

I think the journey is the purpose. But I hear you. Not having a recipient at the end is not as much fun to me as making a particular quilt with some one in mind or some purpose.