Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What do I do with this type of thread?

What do I do with this type of thread?

I was given a lot of spools of thread. Most of it is all purpose but there are a few that I don't know what to do with. Please advise me!! Thanks.

1. Silk thread
    2. Sulky
    3. Machine Embroidery (not a pack of floss, but a spool of embroidery thread)
    4. Three Cord Mercerized Left Twist
    5. Rayon
    6. Mettler Poly Sheen

I have one more that has no label so I'll take a picture of it on a separate post.

Blog Entries
    Hard to tell without knowing the weights. Off hand, 3,5 & 6 sound like machine embroidery thread, which you can use for quilting, especially wall hangings & table top items. 4 sounds like button hole twist, very strong thread, use to hem jeans. 2 is a brand name, not a thread type. Depends on the weight of the silk. you can quilt with it, also can be used for applique.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Thanks!! Except for that "left twist" one, they seemed very similar to all purpose thread to me. I don't want to cause problems with my machine by using inappropriate threads. Can I use embroidery thread in a regular old (really!) DSM?

I love using YSL silk thread for hand appliqué.
    "Not all those who wander are lost." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

-1974 Singer 252 Fashion Mate; 1954 Singer 15-91;
    1952 Pfaff 130-6; Bernina 230PE, and Pfaff Serger 4874.

I'm "bumping" this post once in the hopes I will get more replies. Thanks!!

I also have a follow up question to Princess's reply. I assume if I use one of these threads, I will have to use the same type of thread in the bobbin right (like the machine embroidery thread for example)? My thinking is that if I only have one smallish spool of a certain type, I probably won't have enough to do much if it has to be top and bottom thread. I can't mix general purpose poly thread and machine embroidery thread can I?

Silk thread is very popular with sewing applique. I love Mettler thread. I haven't used the poly sheen. I have used Sulky in quilting and decorative stitching. I usually keep a cotton thread in the bobbin when using a specialty thread on top.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Thank you for that additional piece of advice ManiacQuilter. I'm going to print out all the replies and keep them in a zip lock bag with these spools of thread for future reference.