Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to do with left over binding pieces

Blog Entries
    I have several left over binding strips from other projects. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do with these? Can they be put together somehow into a small lap quilt?

save them and use on a scrap quilt. Just join them all together and you will have a scrappy binding

ditto!

Power Poster
    I do most of my binding straight of grain so I just throw them in my scrap bin. I've got an ongoing paper pieced scrap quilt that I work on between other projects.

Blog Entries
    if you don't want to join them to use as a scrappy binding you certainly would press them open and use them for any number of blocks- quilt projects- you could use them for rail fence blocks- or any thing that takes 2 1/2" squares or rectangles-
    play with them-and use them- you could use them to frame other blocks- you could use them for log cabin or pineapple blocks===you can use them for anything you want.

I only make/use bias binding ... just my preference. I sew the lefties together and use on another quilt .... usually kids or scrap quilts.

I use my left over binding , do a mixed color binding on a jean quilt or a mixed color scrapy quilt. Never throw it away.

I put all my left over binding in a basket. I'm sure that someday I will use it all, but for now it goes in a basket. :)

Blog Entries
    i have been known to iron them flat and use the pieces in another small project. but if there are long lengths, i use them on mugs rugs and wall hangings

I was thinking the same. Use them on smaller projects-potholders, placemats, etc. Or iron them open and use in strip quilts.

Pat

I use them for small projects. I cut in half for stems in applique. The rest I throw in a box for quilt-as-you-go string quilts. All my binding is bias, and I don't usually have more than a yard left over. I've never managed to save up enough for even a lap quilt, but obviously, you can also put the pieces together and use it on a quilt. I don't actually like how that looks, so choose not to do so.

Power Poster
    yes if you cut at 2.5 iron out recut into 2.5 squares makes great scrappy quilts

Blog Entries
    I have just been throwing mine into my scrap tote. But after reading what a lot of others do, I may start a bin with just left over binding. So many good ideas to use with it!!

I save them and use them for scrap quilts.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey
    save them and use on a scrap quilt. Just join them all together and you will have a scrappy binding
    That is what I am doing with all of mine! I can not think of losing all of those left over pieces and I love the scrappy look.

Billy

I often use them in a rainbow binding for another colourful quilt.

I recently got involved in a project to make little sun dresses for children in Haiti and the Dominican Republic. As long as I have two pieces of leftover binding at least 32" long I use them for the straps on the dresses. I am finding that my typical 2 or 3 inch binding will make two if I cut it down the middle. It has also turned out to be a good way to use up some of my fabric stash.

Quote Originally Posted by chamby
    I have several left over binding strips from other projects. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do with these? Can they be put together somehow into a small lap quilt?
    SAVE them for a string quilt - I just posted my completed "String-Fetti" quilt :)

I have made several nice log cabin pot holders with them. The double-weight helps add bulk to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey
    Great idea! I'm not digging them out of the garbage, but I'll save them from now on.

Take them and sew together to make a long strip. Bring the one end and lay on top of the oher end and sew them together right sides facing each other. It will have to be cut at the end because you will have a fold. You now have 2 strips sewed together. Then take the other end and bring to other end and sew the 2 strips to the other two strips and when finished you will have 4 strips together. Do so until you get a nice quilt-probably a lap quilt. Put a border on it.

1 end _______________________________ 2end

Bring 2nd end and lay on top of 1st end and sew together.

Have done this will a jelly roll. Makes a nice quilt.

I keep all of mine in a clear jar. Nice accent in the sewing room. When my gardener hubby needs something to tie up a flower or when he wraps trees in burlap for the winter I give him a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by chamby
    Several years ago my guild made a string raffle quilt. I took a gazillion pieces of leftovers, cut it all into bias strips, sewed them together, and then cut 2-1/2" binding strips - over 400 inches. It was gorgeous and the binding matched the block perfectly.

Yup, me too!

I use them to make a multi-colored binding. Since they are 2 1/2" wide, I can also use them like the precuts (lengths may be a bit different)since I cut on the straight of grain. I store them in a clear plastic, labeled tub.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast