Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with Minkee Blankee? >

What to do with Minkee Blankee?

What to do with Minkee Blankee?

Old 03-11-2011, 01:41 PM

Love Minkee but it is a bugger to work with....I did it the easy way. Decided what size I wanted then sewed it right side to right side around the edge leaving room to pull it through and then stitched it closed. Then did kind of lines down and across for holding it together. The stitches sink beautifully into the Minkee. A walking foot is absolutely necessary. I didn't think to use a stabilizer but that's a great idea. It makes a totally soft fluffy warm quilt for babies/toddlers. I just used my cotton King Tut thread but since it's polyester you could use that without problems. Just remember Minkee is very, very slippery. Also just don't have the patience as some to cut it up and try to make a quilt so that was my way of being able to make a Minkee quilt. Simple, easy and fast.

No didn't wash it until it was finished. I don't use any type of precuts but many, many people do. Hopefully some of them can help you more.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:47 PM

You might make small, take-a-long blankies out of your squares to "practice". I have seen them pieced with alternating cotton squares, and backed with all minkee. It is slippery, but makes a wonderfully soft and cuddly backing and edging for baby quilts. I used cotton thread to piece and quilt with it as a backing on my GS's cotton log cabin baby quilt, and one other crib quilt I made. Am still using up the scraps on baby toys, but I think I will cut some squares!! I have also embroidered on it with no problems. Pin, pin, pin is good advice!