Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do occasional quilters store their stash in? Clear zipper bags store bought quilts are wrapped in. >

what do occasional quilters store their stash in? Clear zipper bags store bought quilts are wrapped in.

what do occasional quilters store their stash in? Clear zipper bags store bought quilts are wrapped in.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:40 AM

[quote=chairjogger]
Originally Posted by quilterella
First off, I use the xtra large Ziploc bagsquote]

love the large ziploc bags.. yes ! great idea.. the one with the sports balls on the box. I wash winter things and store in zips.. love them..
thanks for the compliment too
Just be careful how long you store cotton in plastic. They are not friends; and the fabric is the loser. My fabric is in metal file drawers, and on shelves behind closed doors. No light, no plastic. By the way, congrats on completing a UFO, and even by hand!!
Old 10-15-2010, 05:27 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

oh wow Gran of 6, ok.. did not know that. thanks for the warning!
Old 10-15-2010, 06:28 AM

I use those heavy blanket, sheet and quilt bags all the time, don't think I ever toss one out. Ziplocs are in use for many things in sewing. And if I get shoes in a nice sturdy box, save and use those too. I've covered lots of them in fabric so they look nice. My hubby says I''m a box addict!LOL
Old 10-15-2010, 06:40 AM

I'm so glad this topic popped up today! Just watched this video on an Eleanor Burns show on PBS and found it on the internet. It's hysterical! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKiiOH5oJfs

This is the first time I've attempted to paste a link into a message, so I don't know if it worked, but it's a Cathy Miller recording about stashing her stash.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:41 AM

Fabric/quilts should never be stored in plastic bags/containers.
Fabrics need to breath. Finished quilts should be stored in 100% cotton pillowcases or pillow covers.
Also formaldhyde can build up in plastic storage container.
Fabric should be stored in bins, or on shelves, and not exposed to direct sunlight.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:05 AM

Walmart has some cheap bookcases in different sizes. I use them for my stash. It's easy to see what you have. If they will be stored near a window just use thumbtacks to put a large piece of fabric over everything. Works for me.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by katybob
I'm so glad this topic popped up today! Just watched this video on an Eleanor Burns show on PBS and found it on the internet. It's hysterical! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKiiOH5oJfs

This is the first time I've attempted to paste a link into a message, so I don't know if it worked, but it's a Cathy Miller recording about stashing her stash.
It worked. And that is hilarious. I live alone with my dogs and they don't care. But when my Son-in-law helped me vacuum the water out of my basement in my "flood" and moved stuff out of closets into the garage, he said a few profane words. He said next time he has to help me there had better be a lot less stuff to move. That was after cones of yarn fell on his head while moving plastic bins of yarn.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

I bought the large rectangle cake carries at Walmart and put each UFO in one. They stack great and have handles!
Old 10-16-2010, 03:50 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

my quilt bug friend uses new (never used) pizza cardboard flat boxes for her UFO squares . I am getting so many ideas here and ..learning why not to use plastic.
thank you all. This was more than I imagined.