Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do people do with all those smaller quilts >

What do people do with all those smaller quilts

What do people do with all those smaller quilts

Old 02-16-2015, 06:16 PM

For a couch throw, I make them at least 72 inches...long enough for a 6 foot tall person...50 or 60 inches length just don't do the job.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:34 PM

I agree with Karo....I am 5'6" tall but I when I want to cover up, I want it to go over my shoulders and still be long enough to tuck under my feet so 72" to 80" works best for me. I sometimes even put a "foot holder" on the back side of the bottom.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:02 PM

Mine are always gifts to a rest home for Christmas. There are so many that don't receive a gift and this kind/size
of a quilt is perfect for just sitting. Last year we donated about 35. All of them were squares from quilts that
we thought we might like and decided that we didn't for some reason or other. Sample squares make good
throw pillows too.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:51 AM

I make quilts because I enjoy making quilts. I keep a stack of smaller quilts and lap quilts in a cabinet and as I have guests, if they fall in love with one, they take it home with them as a gift. I give most of mine away. The really smaller ones I use to decorate my sewing room and other areas of my home on the wall. I love the patterns and colors of quilts and the therapy it gives me to sew and if someone else might enjoy them, then all the better.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:46 AM

My grandmother made them and called them "car quilts". We keep one in the car for emergencies, to cover picnic tables while traveling, lots of things. I also collect embroidered patches of places we visit and sew them on the back as sort of a journal of my travels.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:27 AM

I made a couple of them sized as "runners" to put on the seat and back of the sofa because my little dogs make footprints on the fabric. They are washable and small enough that if they wear, I can replace them easily
Old 02-18-2015, 02:52 PM

A quilting friend of mine has a wicker love seat in her foyer and next to the stairs. She rearranges the setting with small seasonal/holiday quilts and other cute items like stuffed animals. I also look forward to see what she has done when I go to her house. I have used smaller quilts as table toppers, wall hangings. I love to decorate with quilts.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by grammyp View Post
My grandmother made them and called them "car quilts". We keep one in the car for emergencies, to cover picnic tables while traveling, lots of things. I also collect embroidered patches of places we visit and sew them on the back as sort of a journal of my travels.
Hey! I like that idea! A car quilt that collects patches from my travels....

Me, I occasionally make small quilts like 70x70... I also have made a couple smaller and rotate them with others that I have acquired and hang them on the wall in my bedroom. I rotate about 4 a year there. The others don't go to waste as even here in California, the nights get cool and couch / lap quilts are welcome. tim in warm warm warm san jose.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:29 AM

Just sent 96 to daycares