Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with Scout patches.. HELP >

What to do with Scout patches.. HELP

What to do with Scout patches.. HELP

Old 04-12-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by carslo
In Canada we encouraged our scouts/guides to make "camp blankets" Get a square piece of polar fleece in the appropriate color. fold in half and cut a "T" on the fold in the middle. This creates an opening for the head and is now like a poncho - then you can either hand sew or machine sew the patches on. It makes a great poncho to wear to campfires, polar bear swims and extra blanket for the tent.
I wish I would have known about the hole what a super idea~I've sewed my patches and my boys' patches on fleece blankets. they display them on their beds and usually take them when they go to camp.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:00 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Wonderful that you are thinking ahead. My son became an eagle scout. There is a ceremony and reception afterwards. At least for his generation ( 31 now).

All his patches were saved. I put them in a frame against fabric of olive pant green like boy scout . BUT I had saved his boy scout shirts with all the arrows and patches. all his stuff was original as placed on as a little boy.. The 150 plus people that attended were from his original cub scout adult leaders through to scouts, family and friends. They were all thrilled to see everything and hung around each patch remembering.
My advise. Not sew now, but keep well tucked in a box if you already have not added to a shash, vest ect. and label what, when and where. add pictures of him at his age in the shirts as you go.

The fantastic quilt was for after scouts was over. and it was FANTASTIC !! I do remember what you are talking about.

Good luck. enjoy your scouts ! they have fun ! Much success to all figuring all this out.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:42 PM

My mom made a quillow for my son. She did not do any quilting on it. She machine stitches the patches on and that becomes the quilting.