Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do? >

What to do?

What to do?

Old 12-02-2018, 10:32 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions and caring thoughts. Don't know why I couldn't think of any of these myself. I will call some guilds and senior homes/clubs, then off to Salvation army they go. This is an awesome group of people. Someone always has an answer to the questions asked. I knew you would for me also. Through the years I have spent many enjoyable and educational hours in here. Thank you again.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:05 AM

Hi Jackie - Another suggestion is Better World Books. You can sell through them, or donate to them. In my area, BWB has bins in a few shopping areas and you can just put books through the slot. Check their website, I know I have seen info about donating/selling - probably in their faq section. DH and I have always been happy with their prices, selection and service, and we have dropped off piles of books in their bins.
Lefty , in Philly
Old 12-02-2018, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

I took all my paints for Tole painting to the Senior Center since they taught classes there. in Colorado.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by dublb View Post
What about donating 'em to your local library?
Great idea. Our local library takes donated books, and has set aside a room just for the books they cannot use, and sells them to buy new books. Win, win.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:10 PM

I second the idea of offering them here for shipping if your going to donate them, that is, if you’re up for the extra work that will be involved in shipping them out.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:34 PM

There are so many worthy donation points as mentioned. Add to them charity sewing groups such as Project Linus, Quilts of Valor, youth education groups, church quilting groups, etc. Quilters exchange and share resources.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:57 PM

We had a new used book store open up in our small town. It made me feel really good to gift them with all the books I had loved, but no longer need.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:36 PM

You are not too far from Phoenix and there is a Arizona Quilting Guild with chapters all over the state. I did not find one in Laveen but maybe there is one some where close to you and you could offer them up. Also, Salvation Army or St. Vincent de Paul, they may come to pick up.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:48 AM

Do you have a "Half Price Books"? That's where I took my books when I had to eliminate some of mine and they buy what you need to get rid of. They, of course, don't give you much, but at least you feel like the books may find another person to love them for a while.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:00 AM

Before you put them on a "free" table at a quilt guild ask if they want them. On several occasions ladies have slipped in and left some on our "free" table. No one wanted them and we had to haul them out and do something with them. They all went into the trash, no volunteers to take them home or drive them to a charity.