Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with these? >

What to do with these?

What to do with these?

Old 09-08-2022, 03:58 PM

Default What to do with these?

Hopefully my picture is attached. If not, stay tuned; it'll be coming soon. I got these spools in an antique spool cabinet I bought at an auction. What I learned from the (translated) Google page is that they are spools of 7 ply rayon thread. They said it could be used in an embroidery machine. The colors are absolutely stunning! Has anyone ever worked with anything like this before? I do know how to cross stitch but my hand embroidery is weak. What kind of embroidery project could be incorporated into a quilt?
Attached Thumbnails 20220908_192903.jpg   20220908_192851.jpg  
Old 09-08-2022, 04:07 PM

If I'm not mistaken, I think it is used for Brazilian Hand embroidery. It is a beautiful art which focuses on 3 dimensional florals using those beautiful threads.

Last edited by SueZQ from MN; 09-08-2022 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-08-2022, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

I might put them in an antique glass canning jar for displaying in my sewing room.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by SueZQ from MN View Post
If I'm not mistaken, I think it is used for Brazilian Hand embroidery. It is a beautiful art which focuses on 3 dimensional florals using those beautiful threads.
That makes sense. hey appear awfully thick to be used in an embroidery machine, but would make beautiful hand embroidery. Also, you could couch them on and they would probably be beautiful

Last edited by cashs_mom; 09-08-2022 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:14 PM

I had to look up Brazilian hand embroidery. Danged if that ain't above my pay grade. But it is definitely beautiful! I might have to display them. I got 30+ spools and these colors are drool worthy!
Old 09-09-2022, 01:06 AM
Gay

I have some of these, but as mentioned, too thick to thread thru the eye of a normal needle. I would look into using them in the bobbin so the pattern is on the underside of the fabric. You can use several different machine designs to stitch out this way, (good for crazy stitching ) also may need to tighten the top tension. I have a special bobbin with no tension to use threads such as these.
Old 09-09-2022, 05:42 AM

Thanks for the idea.
Old 09-09-2022, 06:11 AM

What a find! Gorgeous!
Old 09-09-2022, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
I have some of these, but as mentioned, too thick to thread thru the eye of a normal needle. I would look into using them in the bobbin so the pattern is on the underside of the fabric. You can use several different machine designs to stitch out this way, (good for crazy stitching ) also may need to tighten the top tension. I have a special bobbin with no tension to use threads such as these.
Machines with drop in bobbins are excellent for bobbin work. I've done that in the past. I find couching it on the top much easier and my old Bernina has a foot especially for that!
Old 09-09-2022, 09:20 AM

Very pretty thread. Rayon is not as strong as poly or cotton threads. I have done a lot of machine embroidery using rayon threads and they are lovely. I have used the rayon threads on tea shirts, and they have held up ok, but it is not recommended. I would probably just display them in a pretty jar but use them if I were doing a wall hanging or table topper for display. If your machine has decorative stitches and the thread fits through the needle OK, they might make pretty embellishments. Or you can couch them too. Oh, I can see a bit of a label on the end of one of the spools. If can read the name and weight of the thread, that would give folks more info to give you some suggestions.