Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with vintage family heirloom quilt blocks >

What to do with vintage family heirloom quilt blocks

What to do with vintage family heirloom quilt blocks

Old 03-09-2020, 06:44 AM

Default What to do with vintage family heirloom quilt blocks

My mom had given me a bunch of quilt blocks made by a great great Aunt and would like me to make some kind of a quilt with them. Two things: I am not a super experienced quilter. I’ve made 10 quilts but all fairly simple. And I am also not a hand quilter. The blocks are pieced by hand. Some of them are in okay shape and some are not. They all have discoloration. There are about 18 9 patch blocks (about 8 inches square) that are in reds and blues and some of them have already been sewn together so I am guessing that was her intent with these blocks. There are also some pinwheels that are in decent shape that are also blues and reds-probably about 15. I guess my question is, what would you do with these? I’m not sure I can do anything about the discoloration, but I can go back and repair the seams that look weak. Looking for ideas! Thanks

Last edited by Mcask; 03-09-2020 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:01 AM

Pictures always help but as quilters we are often handed stuff that we don't know what to do with/don't want to do anything with! There are pretty good threads in the Help section covering most of the issues,
https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help-center-f27/

Discolored blocks can be soaked or otherwise washed before or after putting together. Yes, is not ideal but sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do -- and other times we just ignore whatever that stain might be...

First, there is nothing wrong with keeping them for a bit yourself, whether to work up skill or ideas. I'm a believer in "finished beats unfinished" and have no problems at all doing machine sewing or quilting on unfinished tops. Sometimes I find lovely hand stitched tops at the thrift store, often made with poly blend fabrics that the quit police won't finish even though they have been hand stitched.

Do you belong to a guild or a group? Or do you have a regular quilt shop you hang out at and can ask questions? There are always people who actually like working on things like this (but who usually have way too many of their own projects to do), who can maybe suggest settings or give you time periods or other info.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:38 AM

I would keep them and meditate on possible uses. Maybe look at Pinterest or other quilt sites for possible uses. Can allways put them together with sashing to make the quilt bigger.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Retro clean is a product to wash antique fabric with to clean and brighten. It can work wonders but your blocks may not be colourfast. To tell if they are going to bleed, dampen a Qtip and rub the coloured fabric with the Qtip in an inconspicuous spot. If any colour transfers to the Qtip you have a bleeder and it is best to never wash them. If you can’t wash them, there isn’t much point to make them into a quilt. You could make them into a wall hanging that could be vacuumed or put some blocks in shadow boxes for family members.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:56 AM

I don’t imagine it will be something that is put to use... probably more like a wall hanging.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:40 AM

Many of have heirloom blocks that have been passed down to us. They are often so beautiful but not for a usable quilt. They are often frail and just not suitable. I like the idea of a wall hanging or shadow box. This would make a great holiday gift for family members.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:54 AM

I have a quilt sandwich that my Grandma gave to me to finish. It was hand pieced by her grandma and then she started on the quilting but never finished it. I tell myself I should hand quilt it to keep with the tradition.... but I just want that thing done so I can hang it on my wall. I think I'm just going to do a stitch in the ditch on it and get it done. That way it can finally be loved the way it should.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

Does your mom sew? Perhaps you could get together with her and do some of the designing and work as a social event. That way when it is finished, you would have at least three generations of hands within the quilt. If there isn't enough blocks, you could ask mom to help with those too. It could be a nice story to have after it is finished, right?
Old 03-09-2020, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

I'm *dying* to see these blocks! Can you not post a picture of them?
Old 03-09-2020, 11:13 AM

Hang up a design wall and start playing with them in different settings … see what looks good to you!