Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do, what to do..... >

What to do, what to do.....

What to do, what to do.....

Old 06-01-2011, 03:23 PM

A friend of my parents knows that I also do alterations. He is a very nice person and is willing to pay. Please look at the attached picture of "Jeff". Jeff can not find shirts that he can get over his head and won't choke him to death. Virtually, Jeff has no neck. He presented me with 4 very nice shirts and wants the necks enlarged to fit over his head and not be constricting.

I went to our local Walmart today looking for ribbing to use if I were simply going to cut the neck opening larger and add a new neckline. I got two employees both telling me that they have never carried ribbing. Hmm. I ended up buying a fusible interfacing so I can make a V-shaped placket in front.

Knowing this is not my only option, I considered finding this ribbing online and placing an order, (Connecting Threads possibly). Because I only need a few inches of the ribbing per shirt, I don't think this is going to be a smart financial decision because of the shipping cost.

Just because the man has some physical disabilities does not mean he must dress as such. I am sure of my capability to turn his shirts into something that look like they were made that way, but he was really hoping for the original round neck style.

What would you do? Thanks

Jeff, Dad and Mom (Easter)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205289[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-205283.jpe  
Old 06-01-2011, 03:29 PM

You don't neccessarily have to use ribbing for the neckline , if you cut the neck opening larger. You can find some great knit fabrics that that the stretch per inch and use that. Back in the "day" buying ribbing was not as readliy available and on the back of pattens there was a stretch guide showing how much a fabric needed to stretch to properly make the pattern work. it was critical for the necklines on many patterns as well as other parts of the pattern.
Another option is if he does not need all of the lenght of the shirt to use about 1 inch of the bottom of a knit shirt.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:31 PM

Have you checked Joann's?? I used to buy it and have some from years gone by. If you would like it, just pm me and I'll send it. I'm not sure of the colors right now but I'd be willing to look.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:44 PM

I've seen ribbing at Joann's and it was just a couple of weeks ago, at the most.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:49 PM
dd

I have been buying a knitted fabric at Joanns that works for ribbing. It's about $10/yd so I always use a cpn. I comes in many colors and different width ribs. They have some on the mark down rack too but that is very bright colors. I've never seen it at our WM either. Maybe a totally different stretch fabric then add detail to the shirt, if you have to, pocket, stripes on sleeves. Looks like the sleeves might be kind of long, maybe you could shorten them and add a stripe of the alternate fabric.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

try fabric.com- they have very inexpensive ribbing (sometimes $1.95)...also joannes is a good source. my mom & i bought a bunch of different colors to use making fleece socks. we found it very inexpensive....also a (recycled) ribbing from an old sweatshirt or something could be used- maybe a thrift store- where you could pick up a few shirts with the ribbing colors you need for pennies instead of dollars.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

and i was doing so good- not double posting- must be time for me to get off here ;)
Old 06-01-2011, 04:10 PM

You can buy it at JoAnn's. I have some white if you want it. Send me your address in a PM. It is 31 inches long and 29 inches wide doubled. It is what you would use on the bottom of a sweatshirt. I have had it for a long time and there are a couple of streaks across it where it was folded on a shelf, but I think you can work around it. It is yours if you want it.
Sue
Old 06-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

There are members here who make sweatshirt jackets. They usually cut of the ribbing :wink: and may have some from the necks they don't have a use for.
Maybe start a topic in the classified section asking if anyone has any to sell or trade for? :D:D:D
Old 06-02-2011, 03:51 PM

Problem solved. Thanks to all for your input. I knew I could buy it at JoAnns and other online sources, but I would have to order and then have shipping charges. I had one wonderful quilter, "Nancy", PM me and she is sending me her ribbing stash. I think I will have what is necessary to fix most of the shirts for Jeff. If not, he gave me permission to turn them into V-necks and add a facing.

Thank you all again for your suggestions and help!
Tonnie