Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what to do when you don't want to label >

what to do when you don't want to label

what to do when you don't want to label

Old 06-06-2011, 06:08 PM

Ok, here is my dilemma. I made a wall hanging but I did a good enough job that i didn't want to disrupt how the back looked with a label. It was for a swap so I thought I should do a label.

What other ways are there to label a quilt or wall hanging without actually putting a label on it? Did that make sense?

I ended up writing with a pigma pen along the binding what it was for but there should be something else that could be done. I'm not a very good quilter so it has to be a simple solution.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:10 PM

I think signing it with pen should be sufficient. You always go overboard anyway, Bonbon! I am sure your partner will love it either way.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by sgardner
I think signing it with pen should be sufficient. You always go overboard anyway, Bonbon! I am sure your partner will love it either way.
Thanks Shelley. What other options can you think of though. It wasn't until recently that I even started to do labels. I thought with the swaps they should be labeled though.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:17 PM

Oops, I didn't know that. The last swap item I made wasn't labeled at all! I did send a nice note though.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by sgardner
Oops, I didn't know that. The last swap item I made wasn't labeled at all! I did send a nice note though.
I don't think it is a rule but sending a note is good also. At the nursing home where mom lives they put little paper hearts with the persons name on it as a label. They can take it off if they want to, etc. I had thought about that also.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:24 PM

While labels are prefered, I can understand why you might not want to put one on. I agree writing on the back with pigma is fine.
I have been in the DQ swap for a while and I have received quilts both ways. For those who have not put a label on, they always send a note or card. I write on the back of the card/note where it came from and I keep them in a drawer in my quilting room.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:26 PM

I embroider my name on the binding before sewing it...i never put a label...but it is hard to see....
Old 06-06-2011, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by huntannette
I embroider my name on the binding before sewing it...i never put a label...but it is hard to see....
Labels is probably one of the reasons I wouldn't mind having an embroidery machine. I'd have to embroidery by hand which, while not opposed to, by the time I finished doing the piece, I might not be in the mood to do. LOL. Perhaps I should do the label first and THEN do the project.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:10 PM

See, the etiquette one learns when reading this board! All good advice.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:31 AM

My rule of thumb with labels, if you can't hide it then feature it. Mt last couple of swaps I printed labels on fabric with my current avatar and the recipients current avatar. Sets a timeline as well if you change avatars. Of course embroidery is good too. And sometimes I forget a label all together.