Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do yo do when you just can't sleep? >

What do yo do when you just can't sleep?

What do yo do when you just can't sleep?

Old 09-03-2011, 07:56 AM

I either read in bed using a camping head lamp or get up and sew scrappy strips together. My machine is in a separate room and if I close the bedroom door all is well.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:27 AM

That's an every night occurrence for me. I have restless leg syndrome so am up several times during the night. I have to stay on my feet to settle my legs, so I either do housework, laundry, or go out for a walk (we live in a safe small town.) I can't sew as that is next to bedroom and would disturb DH. I get more housework and laundry done during the night than during the day.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by willowwind
I usually draw or read. or plan a quilt. Don't want to turn the sewing machine on to wake up everyone up. One night, a couple of years ago, when my machine was in a different room, Ii made a sweatshirt jacket for my granddaughter, all in one night. I took about 3 hours. woke up at 1am, never did go back to sleep that day.

Cathy S/Willowwind
You had to feel good about getting a project like that done!
Old 09-03-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by 3incollege
I just toss and turn all night. I think about getting up and going into my sewing room but it never happens. I just fight it every night, should go on meds.
This is what I do too ... sometimes I try to read but usually the light is too bright.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:24 AM

I go to pogo and play games.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:27 AM

Tylenol PM, I get the generic brand at walmart, sure does help ALOT.

Originally Posted by 3incollege
I just toss and turn all night. I think about getting up and going into my sewing room but it never happens. I just fight it every night, should go on meds.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:27 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

This time of year, I open a window and listen to all the night sounds. Very calming and helpful.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

I had a problem waking up and not getting back to sleep. My Dr. told me to not go to bed until I was very sleepy, no matter what time it was. That really works to keep me asleep. I don't have to wake up to an alarm clock so that makes a big difference. When I'm not sleepy I usually read or watch a movie until I can't hold my eyes open. DH goes to bed at his bedtime if he's sleepy or not. Then complains he doesn't sleep all night. Well stay up until you are sleepy!
Old 09-03-2011, 12:09 PM

If I am up at night it is usually due to one of the kids. Got two little ones and one furry one. All three take turns waking me up at night. I am usually a light sleeper but able to do up and down sleep pretty well. But if I go to bed and can't get relaxed for some reason I will get up and read or watch tv. Just depends on my mood and why I can't sleep. Went two nights one time where I was having panic/anxiety attacks all night and got no sleep. The third night I downed a couple of extra strength benadryl. Worked real well. I having been diagnosed but have signs of fibromialgia and sometimes it makes it so it takes forever to relax enough to sleep. Those night just try to stretch while watching tv.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:32 PM

I've been known to be awake all hours of the night refolding whatever needs folding, emptying out one of my two small bins of scraps, and organizing by color, and size.. Now I really have an excuse to get up in the wee hours, and turn my radio on, just like Ray Stevens used to sing.. oh , is that dating me or what!! thanks for the tip on the all people radio.. this will be a great time of listening.