Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you charge for quilting? >

What do you charge for quilting?

What do you charge for quilting?

Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 AM

I'm a new quilt for hire gal and I'm having a hard time setting a price. Any suggestions?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:00 PM

You might try taking your raw materials (fabric, thread, batting etc) and multiply by 1.5, 2 or 3+ and see if that get's you in the neighborhood of what you feel your time and skills are worth. That way if you use high end materials to make a quality heirloom quilt you will be compensated accordingly vs using lower end materials to maybe bang out a basic quilt.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:54 PM

I'm just doing the quilting in most cases so it's just my time and my short arm quilting on the frame. I have one lady that is supplying everything except the batting and another that is supplying everything except the thread. I know I should charge for supplies although I thought at cost, didn't take in to consideration the gas and time to get them so 1.5 does sound fair. I'm not going to charge a whole bunch since I'm so new at working on other people's quilts but I don't want to give it away either. I've done lots of my own quilts and I do a pretty nice job. Since I only have a short arm Juki I can't do lot's of fancy stuff but I can do some. I guess I'm just looking for a per size base price. Per hour won't work since if I screw something up I will take it out and try again and it's going to take me longer since I'm new and it's a short arm.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:29 PM

I don't do quilting for others, but I've taken two quilts to local mid-armers. One charged a penny an inch, and the other charged I forget what, but it was per 100 inches, I think, and was a little more expensive. Her work was a lot better, though.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

what do you mean you are a for hire quilter? are you making quilts for people (special order?) or are you a long-armer quilting for people? or are you hand quilting for people ? every part of the process has it's own pricing standards so without more information we can not advise you. but you should check around your area and see what different people are charging...location matters...ALOT! if you are long-arm quilting for people it kind of depends on how much experience you have and the type of quilting you do...some people charge a flat rate for the size of quilt other people charge by the square inch...some charge for thread some include it...it sounds as if you have alot of research to do to find a good answer--good luck :thumbup: