Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you charge? >

What do you charge?

What do you charge?

Old 10-01-2014, 03:13 AM

Default What do you charge?

I am doing my first Holiday Bazaar in November. So far I have several canvas grocery bags, some quilted tote bags, tissue holders and crayon rolls. I'm also planning some burp cloths, small table runners and mini zip bags. I welcome any new ideas for small items. I have no idea how much to charge for these items. I am using stash so I have not incurred any new costs. So how much would you charge for these items?
Old 10-01-2014, 03:16 AM
Power Poster

i have found that different areas of the country or even counties can get different prices. good luck.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:21 AM

Just because your using your stash doesn't mean the material is free! Charge for the material as well as your labour!
Old 10-01-2014, 03:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cathy77 View Post
Just because your using your stash doesn't mean the material is free! Charge for the material as well as your labour!
I agree! Are you going to replace some of your stash with new fabric? And how much is that gonna cost?
I would guestimate what you would have to pay (current, non-sale price) for the materials in an item and at least double it.
Sadly in many parts of the country, you will be working for peanuts.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:35 AM

The books I've read about selling crafts, say to charge 3 times the cost of your supplies, fabric, thread, etc., you don't get anything for your "time", which I think should be wrong. I hope you do well in selling.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Wish I could offer positive advice but craft items just don't sell here unless they are dirt cheap. I would rather give them as gifts.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:05 AM

There is a wonderful article on valuing your work here: http://huntersdesignstudio.com/2012/...hats-it-worth/

My sister sells things at a craft market twice a year, and she usually sells out while others around her are not selling a thing. She makes beautiful scrap potholders, microwave bowl holders, tissue cases, and small pouches. I don't know how she prices them, but none of her items look home made; rather, they look hand made. Quality always counts when you are selling anything.

Last edited by mckwilter; 10-01-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:41 AM

Another item that is quick & easy to make is a changing pad (could even bundle it with burp cloths & maybe a bib -- though the bib would require making/buying bias tape).

I would estimate the cost of your materials, add in an hourly rate (I charge $18/hr for a large metro area, but perhaps it would be slightly less in your area, or slightly more if people love homemade items), and be sure to cover the cost of bringing your items to market (cost for booth, renting table/chairs, display materials, bags, receipts & if you are willing to take PayPal or credit cards the amount you'll need to pay to them, plus planning and design time).

Unfortunately, as Tartan said, it depends on the area & the craft show. I have been to craft shows where nothing over $10 will sell. It doesn't matter if it is an organic cotton, hand pieced, hand quilted, award winning bed quilt, people will either skip the booth or very rudely ask if you would take $10 for it. On the other hand, we have other holiday shows nearby where you would be hard-pressed to find a single item under $50 (usually those are the hand-blown glass Christmas ornaments) & some items can go for north of $10K. So I guess the moral of my story is "know your market". If people coming to the show where you're selling appreciate art & quality hand-crafted goods, then follow the advice on the link mckwilter posted. If it is the kind of show where people are ONLY looking for ugly hostess gifts that will likely fall apart before the new year, then you probably have to keep everything but the quilted totes to $5-10 and the quilted totes maybe around $15-20. Personally, I avoid those kind of "craft fairs" -- both as a seller and as a buyer. I would rather sit and enjoy a cup of cocoa with someone than get some crappy, overpriced $5 gift my 2-year-old niece could have made (rolling my eyes as I remember the time I saw someone selling reindeer clothespins for $5 each. ugh! but, bless her heart, she sold over 75 of them and made a killing). I really hope you can connect with a quality group that values quilted products. Good luck!
Old 10-01-2014, 09:52 AM

A lot depends on whether or not the show is juried. When doing a show that isn't juried, nothing above $5 sells around here. My friend glued the front of old cards to the top of small discarded cardboard boxes for $5 and sold out. Didn't cost her a dime to make.

Eight years ago, I had no trouble selling my $90 jackets, but it is a different market nowadays.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

You have to do a little homework and visit a few craft shows to see what the prices are in your area. If you price it too high, you won't sell anything. You never get your time that you made the items. Too many cheap imports from China.