Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do to get motivated?

What do you do to get motivated?

I haven't been sewing much the last few weeks. I had many other obligations to fulfill. Got kind of sick and down in the back for a while and still have other things nagging me so I don't even feel like doing a little bit here and there even though I'm feeling better now

Maybe I need to make a shirt or a zipper pouch or something

I'm still kind of meh...
    Dresi

Suitable for framing

I've been the same. Some weird health stuff has kept me from doing a lot of things I'd like to be doing. I've been very run down and so spend a lot of time resting and reading. Work seems to just wear me out right now and I have no energy left for anything else. I've decided to start with a purse that I've been wanting to make. I've made the pattern before so it shouldn't be too hard. I've just been having a hard time coming up with ideas and energy to do anything.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    Dresi, I got through smaller spurts of time when I just don't feel like sewing. When it happens I get out my collection of quilt magazines or books and start going through them to decide "should they stay or should they go". I often times find inspiration in doing so and it helps me weed out some of the stuff I am not going to ever use. I pass those on to quilting friends. Another non sewing inspiration is sorting through my fabric stash. When I am pulling fabrics for a potential project I don't always keep my stash organized tossing what I've chosen not to use on top of a pile instead of where it belongs. Sorting fabric, books and magazines puts me back in the groove to get back to sewing. Another option is getting together with my mini group of friends to sew or heading to a quilt show. Lots of them going on this time of year and you are most certainly to get inspired at a quilt show. Get together with those who "speak your quilting language". You'll be back to sewing in no time!
    Want to make new friends?
    Become a quilter!

I switch projects. I am working on making some Bible Bags for my friend who will be going on a missionary trip to the Philippines again. Sometimes you need relief from the larger more complicated quilting projects.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    Sometimes when I don't feel like a big project, I will do a bit of hand work in my comfy chair. A crochet project or a embroidery red work project.

I've been going through some family mental stress lately. My motivation has been low but I go in my sewing room anyway. I may not do anything but sort magazines and books but I do something sewing related. I do a lot of hexie sewing when I feel unmotivated.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Right now my sewing room is slowly becoming a little more organized. I see all these ideas for organization and become overwhelmed and just walk out of the room. I have to go in every day because I do my hair in there. I keep things covered so they don't get spray and also to keep from getting dusty. but I know what's underneath the covers. My work has been keeping me busy and it can cause some stress. So I just get on the board. Landlord has been pondering selling the house and that's stressful too.

Blog Entries
    Same here.... I unexpectantly lost a dear friend. The weeds are taking over the flowers and so many things seem to be waiting for me.
    I have been participating in the 2015 block of the month here on the quilting board, going to try to do the May block this afternoon. Perhaps that will give me a sense of accomplishment and I can get out of this rut.
    "What day is it?" asked Pooh
    "It's today." squeaked Piglet
    "That's my favorite day!" said Pooh

Maybe I'm just a tad burned out on my daughter's quilt. I started it in April and I'm not even halfway done with piecing the blocks. I have 15 blocks done and need 20 more

It's a pixelated heart that I made from a gif I found in google images

It's pinks and reds on a black background. Each block has 289 1 1/2" squares in it

I went to Hancock's yesterday to pick up some sewing machine oil and looked around for some different fabric thinking it would launch me out of the doldrums but nothing spoke to me...

Maybe I'll organize my stuff

I tried giving my sewing machines a spa day last week-sometimes that helps

I think I just have to make myself get started and maybe I'll find my way back into the groove.

I just go in my sewing room and sort scraps, or put fabrics and tools away, I might vacuume or dust or leaf trough a pattern or two. If the mood strikes I sew a block for an ongoing project, even if I don't actually do any sewing I've straightened up a bit or made some progress on the ever growing scrap pile.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

I like cutting scraps into usable strips or squares. It's relaxing when I don't feel like sewing.

I also look at my Pinterest pages, where I have stored loads of quilting patterns and ideas. I usually forget what I put there, so looking at them again is great motivation to get the quilting juices flowing. If you like, I will be happy to share my boards with you... they are here:
    https://www.pinterest.com/bonbonevans/
    I have many quilting and sewing boards, as well as knitting and crochet. You can also look at the boards of the many people I am following. Pinterest is endless inspiration and ideas.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Periodically I hit a real slump, and nothing seems to get me in the right mood. One thing I do is force myself to reorganize one bit of my sewing stuff. Be it scraps, cutting table , tools something that really needs some attention. Usually after tackling some task I have put off , I am motivated to work in my space again.

When I really need the motivation to sew/quilt I often find there is a reason. If I force it then I am really not satisfied with the results and it takes me much longer than otherwise. There is a reason why I listen to my 'body/mind' in such things.
    Luckily there are other options available. Looking at quilt books or magazines Reading a book. and so much more.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I just don't let it bug me to lose my sewing mojo from time to time. Why should it? It's a hobby. I just went through a dry spell and told myself, "this, too, shall pass'" We were starting a new business, my mom is ill, we are remodeling the kitchen, my sister is going through a divorce, and we had a loooong winter like most of the country. Those things zapped my energy for creative work. I decided to deal with clutter in my sewing room that was also zapping my creativity. I regained my mojo at 5:55 this morning, as a matter of fact! I got up and started adding 2.5 inch random length scraps to my ongoing huge beach quilt. That's what I do when I just want to sew mindlessly.

I feel energized again, even though the only things that have changed are the weather (that's a huge mood lifter!!!) and my sewing room environment.

Bottom line: don't worry about it. It'll come back.

I think I figured out what the problem is.

I need to cut more 1.5" squares and hate cutting sometimes...

Nothing wrong with taking a break! Read a book or watch a good movie or take a nap. I find if I am not 'in the mood' I do as much ripping as sewing. With that huge of a project you need to take time off. If you love want you do, you will get back to it refreshed & ready.
    .* .*)) -::-
    ((.*~Dody.*))
    -::- ((.* .*((.. *-::- ...

I have lost my mojo a lot over the years. It has always come back. For me it falls into " don't sweat the small stuff". When it becomes a "have to" vs a"want to" it's not fun anymore
    Alyce

yel
    Blog Entries
    stitchnripper i get that have to/ want to thing all the time ....if it is a hobby than it should always be a want to .......sometime other things and other people get in the way .....

Power Poster
    I don't worry about it.

I don't get paid to do it.

I get told that the non quilting stuff I've been sewing is, ummmmm, not quite what was expected. DD asked me to sew curtains for the DGDs' rooms, complete with blackout lining. I found some really sweet primary striped fabric for the youngest (3 yrs old) and got some creme with green vines and purple leaves for the older (6 yrs old--back story Mommy let her pick the paint for her bedroom and it is a DEEP PURPLE!!!! I thought the curtain fabric would lighten the room a tad but Mommy thought the fabric pattern was 'not child oriented'. Doesn't help that this DGD wanted pink and purple flowers on her curtains)

Okay, back to getting into the swing of things--I found a piece of creme backing in my stash. I started playing with simple flower shapes. Outcome--DGD will get her pink and purple AND yellow and blue and orange and any other colour I can make, flower appliqued curtains. It is not going to be a quilt but I think I got my mojo back!! Plus I'm having fun!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Blog Entries
    I just try to put on my blinders and ignore the house cleaning, organizing, and other nuisance issues! Of course I have to make allowances for those nasty health issues. So far, I have recently been starting one project after another and making some more clutter!!

The applique flower curtains sound fun!

Will you post pix later?

Blog Entries
    i just brought the bonic gear bag pattern i get me to , all i,ve done so far is cutting out the fabric , i think i need a quilt buddy or sewer by my side to get me going anybody know where i might buy one or two more would be a big plus to have with me lol
    we can make our plans but the out come is in god,s hands nellie diaz

I have been in a funk since last year. My quilting buddy found a quilt kit at a thrift store....paid $6.00.....a $120 kit for $6.00. She didn't like the fabrics nor the "tough" blocks. I have block # 12 done (started just a couple of weeks ago).....and found that trying something out of the box for me has worked! The blocks are detailed...something I'd have never tried before and the pattern says to cut xx squares of light, medium or dark fabric....NO color choices picked out by the designer.....just MY choice. Now I'm ready to make quilts again!!!!!!!! Good luck...hope you get out of your funk.
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

The things I try to keep motivated is doing small projects first and look online

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast