Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with Minky scraps? >

What do you do with Minky scraps?

What do you do with Minky scraps?

Old 06-05-2020, 01:05 PM

Try https://www.kimberbell.com/kimberbear/, to make some fun stuffed bears. You can either sew them or use the embroidery files to do in-hoop bears.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:43 PM

Watson, that is so cute! What a great gift set!
Old 06-06-2020, 01:44 AM

I am so inspired by all the unique ideas of ways to use minky scraps in projects. Thank you for including photos. I hope you know how Awesome you are! I do have an embroidery machine and plan to try my first teddy bear with the free pattern for donation bears to children in stressful situations. I see the Kimberbell pattern also works as a cut and sew project.

Many thanks for the ideas, photos, and links to projects! Please keep posting more ideas! Amazing what creative minds are here on this board.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:00 AM

Back in the 70s, I remember a lot of things being done with fake fur and corduroy and yes, even double knits! All of which could translate to minkie, something like these huge posies could be fun
https://www.amazon.com/Better-Homes-.../dp/0696013959

Another thing was making double-sided squares and then sewing them together. Can do all by machine if you want, or you can do the final assembly by hand, usually they were rather large like 6-10".
Old 06-10-2020, 02:12 PM

If it’s 5” or wider and WOF I make a neck scarf for winter. If you wrap around your neck a few times it is really warm. I made one for myself and just love it. I also piece together and use as backing for baby quilt or lap quilt. Or use it for baby quilt borders. Or the 5” blocks make a baby top or back.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
Thought I'd try to show you a picture of the donation quilt I mentioned.
Oh and that leaves the edges for some "fondling"!

We had a baby quilt come into the shop for quilting with a strip of coordinated color fabric across the quilt as a narrow border and I thought how much a little one would love to touch this little strip.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

You are brave! I made one minkee quilt and by the time I was through I wanted nothing to remind me of the stuff. I didn't keep an inch of it. LOL