Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What do you do???

What do you do???

I don't typical work with precut 2.5" strips but I bought this patriotic package from a major manufacturer and they are NOT 2.5" from tip to tip of their tiny pinked edges. They are about 1/16" too narrow. I am doing something like a quarter log cabin that are then sewn together so the seams need to match. The only thing I can think of is to cut numerous lightweight fusible strip to add the needed 1/16", but that is going to take so much time. I am also using some of my fabric that I have cut to use in this charity quilt (homeless vets). Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

PS. I did complete a quilt top for ME using Hoffman 2.5" strips and had absolutely no problems.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    How are you measuring the strips? Typically, for pinked edges, you line up the tips with your other fabric for the seam. If the strips are indeed 1/16" too narrow, then you simply place the pinked edge a smidge (1/32") from the edge of the other fabric. You need only 1/32" because you will also be seaming the other side and 2/32" = 1/16".

Edit: The above assumes you are sewing a pinked edge to a straight edge fabric. Since you are pulling from stash, this might be a good option for you. Even if you are sewing two pinked strips together, I don't think making the seam 1/32" smaller will hurt. It does require attention while piecing, though.
    Last edited by Prism99; 12-08-2015 at 02:13 PM.

This was posted a while back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I remember seeing your design for this quilt and it was beautiful. This may not be a helpful suggestion, but I am thinking since this is a charity quilt and short of time, I wonder if you might regroup and change the pattern to something more adjustable like a rail fence or nine patches for the strips. If they sew up a little narrow you can adjust the size of your crosscut square accordingly and just "gett'er done!". I hate precuts too! When I saw your design I thought you must have had a nice stash of patriotic prints---something I hardly ever have but often wish I did!!
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.

I'd use them on something where the width being a bit smaller wouldn't matter, like Jeanne suggested. Pretty as they look all packaged up I try to resist precuts because I like to prewash due to allergies. This just adds to my reasons to try to resist temptation!

Thank you, Easy Peezy, I hadn't seen that. Good advice, if we can do it.

Blog Entries
    Ezey Pezey, that was great!
    Mavis

Here's an easy way to deal with this issue:

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/...gly-smart.html

Blog Entries
    thank you EP for posting that little advice page... it may come in handy at some point in my sewing adventure.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    This is the way I deal with irregularly cut strips and squares-even the ones I don't cut right.
    Have a blessed day.

Linda

Just sew together for a basket weave or fence rail and trim them all the same size.
    I have only worked with one 2-1/2 strips that was gifted tome and turned out perfect. Otherwise I cut my own strips and make sure the are as exact as I can get them,
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

That is a great help and will definitely come in handy.

I haven't had any problem with the Moda or Kaufmann precuts, but I purchased a Tonga Treat strip set and swore I would never do so again, the strips were so badly cut. Unfortunately, I had subcut them into squares and triangles, so ended up trimming flying geese for ages to get them all uniform.

Do like "Frozen" and just let it go!!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

One reason why I don't purchase pre-cuts, sometimes they're not cut exact. I did once and never again buy 2 packages of 5" squares at a local fabric shop and found most of them more toward 4.75 than 5.0 so had to cut from my stash to augment what I needed. The off cuts I used for the 2.5 squares I needed but such a waste in my book.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Another reason I rarely buy pre-cuts. Doesn't take me that long to cut my strips. I hate dealing with pinked edges. That's just me. I save money with yardage.

I like to use precuts but they are irregular some of the time. To combat this problem, I sew two strips together
    with the larger one--sometimes the exact size-- -on the bottom.The smaller one is laid on top so that I can see the
    lower and the upper strip is NOT over as far as the needle. I get much closer to the correct size finished that way.
    I have not tried to use to cut them other than to piece strips and use those to cut into patches. Brenda Henning's
    later Strip Therapy books talk about problems with undersized strips and what I do came from reading those.

There are places that have strips that ARE correctly cut without the pinked edges and they are much better !

Good article. Thanks for sharing with us.

Susan

Doesn't Jenny say that as long as you are using the same strips and you are consistent with your seams you will be fine?

I wouldn't be afraid to make my seam as small as one eighth inch. I would put the smaller piece on top and sew according to the bottom piece. If you have two that are too small, it would help to mark the seam lines as in Bonnie Hunters link. She doesn't mark them, but uses a template to sew in the correct place.
    You can get those strips the correct width with a few tricks.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzle View Post
    Doesn't Jenny say that as long as you are using the same strips and you are consistent with your seams you will be fine?
    agree with Fizzle and Jenny - if all strips are the same width, even if they're not exactly 2.5, then there will be no problem with matching seams between blocks.
    Kate

Love all the advice here. I've always just adjusted the rest of my seams to be 1/16" short. Not so much fun to cut, but it does give nice, straight seams throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    That's an awesome way to handle it.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Is this project for a charity quilt? I don't think homeless vets are going to be too particular if a few seams don't [email protected]!
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!