Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What do you do with the unused stabilizer for embroidery projects

thanks for all the wonderful ideas!
    Quote Originally Posted by rutthy
    If you are using the clear water soluble(it looks like plastic), when I have scraps left you can put it between 2 sheets of parchment paper and iron it together(no steam) just patch it up and you can reuse for another job. I have saved a lot of money by doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by oatw13
    I reuse mine all the time. I don't sew them together, I just lay them on top of each other. If the pieces are really scraggly, I use them for test runs.
    I do the same. I also save the pieces from sticky back & try to but them up & use them. Stabilier is tooo expensive not to get the most out of the leftover pieces.

Thks nice tip!

I cut my piece alittle longer so that when the embroidery is finished the stabilizer is still long enough for to more hoopings without wasting the side pieces.

Very good ideas...I love this board.

I generally double hoop them for the next project, making sure the holes fall over or under a solid piece. If it is wash away, a little water on a paintbrush will stick them together. If I am doing a layered design, I naturally use the smallest bit that is appropriate on each layer.
    The wash away crumbs can be dissolved into a fabric stiffener or glue.

Good idea. I never thought of that. I have to remember that the next time I have left overs.

I reuse mine all the time. I don't sew them together, I just lay them on top of each other. If the pieces are really scraggly, I use them for test runs.
    This works!!! It is great to use up the scraps of it. I can't see throwing it out because they are still good sized pieces.

If They are small unusable scraps of tear or cut away they make great scratch paper, really easy to write on.

I use my leftover stabilizer pieces by spraying them with craft bond or 505 and adhere them to the piece already in the hoop (covering the hole from last project). Seems to work fine. I haven't had one problem.

I save any leftovers that are at least 3" sq. I embroider alot of napkin corners and use my smallest hoop. Needless to say, I have drawers and bins full of scraps!!
    Just can't bring myself to throw them out.

i just reuse mine overlap them and that way i don't feel so bad about land fill issues

I just trim out the used part to make it neater and baste in a patch area. Works great and can use the outter edges over and over. Waste not, want not!

Blog Entries
    My mother in law said to use coffee filters for stabilizer. Maybe that works, but this machine cost me more money than I care to say so I will use stabilizer, thank you very much. I buy the iron on stabilizer at Joann's with my 40% coupon and use it to "stick" the other stabilizer onto my pieces to be embroidered. I hate the spray stuff that smells terrible and gunks up my needles. This iron on stuff does the trick and is reusable if you don't sew into it. It is also good to use a full piece to double up on stabilizer when you need it.

I save the tear away pieces, cut them into strips and use them as backing when doing borders with the built in stitches. After years of ignoring them, I'm getting more into using the built in stitches to frame the embroidery design and/or as decorative borders.

I love finding out there are others who are as cheap - er I mean thrifty - as I am! :o)

I love the suggestion of just not cutting it. I think I could make that work if I just tape the roll to the left hand side of the hoop... gotta go check.

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patriciaponder
    For the smaller pieces, I use them at my regular sewing machine to start sewing on at the beginning of seams so I avoid the nesting of thread tails.
    Great idea!!

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marysewfun
    Quote Originally Posted by ljgraham
    someone showed me how to hoop my material, set it up in your machine and place a piece of stabilizer underneath. no need to hoop a whole piece. Can stick it on the back with spray if you want to. use's up those small pieces
    I do much the same - in fact I have even taken like a 4 1/2 sq of stabilizer, marked the center, match it to the center of the fabric that will be hooped and embroidered, and lightly taped down the corners of the stabilizer where I know the pattern will not be stitching. Now that is cheap!! - but it has worked! :lol:
    So no buckling?

DITTO!!!! And I thought I was the only miserly one!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2