Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What Do You Do When the Thread Breaks While You Are Doing FMQ?

What Do You Do When the Thread Breaks While You Are Doing FMQ?

When I was doing FMQ on my last quilt using Invisafil thread, I had a couple instanced when the thread broke. When this happens do you just start again with a few small stitches over where it broke to hold the ends in place or do you stop, take a few stitches out, knot and bury the tails?

I've never really been told what to do or how to handle this. Thanks for your help.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    Pick up the line a few stitches back. I usually go back an inch and bring up both threads and go.
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

It depends one what the quilt is going to be used for...and how busy the backing is! If I can Really see the start and stop, I make it as invisible as I can. I bury the threads -both the start and the stop. If its a busy quilt and the start and stop will not be seen, I do a couple of stitches to lock them in , trim it all the ends and keep going...
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-29-2018 at 01:53 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Mostly what everyone else says, depending on the use, backing, area where it breaks, etc.
    Alyce

Power Poster
    I remove enough stitching to knot and bury the thread ends. I then start by bringing up the bobbin threads, fill in the missing section and knot and bury those thread ends.

Thanks everyone. That's pretty much what I thought and what I did. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some magic fix that I didn't know about.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

First: I swear. Profoundly. Second: I do what everyone else has recommended above. Third: I pour a nice cold glass of white wine.

Repeat as needed.
    “That which does not kill you has made a grave tactical error”

I have been lately bringing up top and bottom threads tie a small knot, go back past there, do a couple of stitches back and forth and go on.
    I use to just go back and forth and move on.

I just make regular quilts, nothing fancy. If it pleases me it will please anyone.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I do what Tartan does.

Patrice, what is Invisafil? Have you had that problem with other threads?

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    Patrice, what is Invisafil? Have you had that problem with other threads?
    It a very fine thread. Its not invisible thread, but it shows very little. I was using my Juki and this was the first thing I used it to FMQ. I loosened the tension a bit and slowed down a little and didn't have any more problems. It was mostly just at first.
    Patrice S

Quote Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
    It depends one what the quilt is going to be used for...and how busy the backing is! If I can Really see the start and stop, I make it as invisible as I can. I bury the threads -both the start and the stop. If its a busy quilt and the start and stop will not be seen, I do a couple of stitches to lock them in , trim it all the ends and keep going...
    What she said.

I like to pull back a few stitches, tie a knot, bury the knot and start again by pulling up the new bottom thread, tie a knot and bury it next to the first one. It just looks better-and holds better. The biggest problem with broken threads is that they so often happen right in the middle of the project where they will be the most visible.

I would think you'd want to tie the ends a little ways back and bury the threads but from time to time I use fray check as it doesn't seem to show when dry, hoping this will keep the threads from coming undone. I also start stitching a few stitches back too.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I remove about an inch or more of the stitches, pull threads to the top, knot and bury. Restart as close to this point as possible. Later I'll go back and knot and bury my restarting threads.

Blog Entries
    I like to unthread, knot and bury. It just looks neater to me and not that much time spent for a better-looking finish.

I think it depends on the quilts purpose and how you want it to look. Both methods are fine to use and work.

peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I am a knot and bury person. I often go back about 3 inches and put in a pin to mark the spot the start stitching from that point. When finished, I will return and pull out the three inches of stitches, know and bury. For me this works rather than stopping and pulling out stitches. Seems to be a little faster or I may delusional.

I’m a visual learner. I found this video very helpful. I keep self threading needles by my machine.

https://youtu.be/qm4i0mA_4dQ