Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you do with a worn out quilt >

what do you do with a worn out quilt

what do you do with a worn out quilt

Old 11-23-2019, 07:05 AM

I have 2 of the bears made from my grandmothers quilt.The quilt is probably over 80 years old . I love them dearly.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:28 AM

I have a quilt my grandmother made and it is in deplorable condition. I still wrap up in it when I am in a bad place. (When I had cancer in 1989 and when my grandmother and my husband died.) It brings me peace. I have copied it and it was such fun to make it and feel her sewing the same thing all those years ago.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:48 AM

I have repurposed them by using the best parts when possible, but even the worst parts by using them to make Christmas stockings and other things. I stitch a very fine pale colored tulle over the pieces to keep them from fraying more. They seem to hold up well.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:49 AM

My daughter had a favorite quilt. She had so many memories tied into it, some involving loss and the healing following the losses. When it got to the point that it was fraying and tearing I made a duvet like cover for it and then did some hand quilting/tying to attach it. Only she knows what is inside the cover, but that is ok. She can still curl up with it and feel good.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:47 PM

I am really appreciating this thread! Thank you for starting it and to those who have replied. I made my sister a comfort quilt.. it was my first one ever.. and she loves that quilt to pieces... literally, lol. She now keeps it on her recliner back and uses it as a throw. I offered to make her a new one as hers is shredding in many places but she insists she loves her quilt even the way it is. Perhaps I can persuade her to choose one of the suggestions made here. I like the idea of using it inside a new top and back, but she lives in CA and that might make it too heavy.
Anyway, it's good to know there are some options in case she ever decides to let me replace or reuse it.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:02 AM

This is something I just finished doing. Had a flannel quilt front and back that I had on our queen bed for many years. Loved it to death. The flannel on the top wore out to shreds on the top. Some of the flannels were not good quality. I removed the binding and replaced the top and backing with batik fabric. Quilted it with an over all loops . I used the same pattern for the top as the original. The only thing I miss is my first feather border I did. This worked well but hope to never have to do it again. It is now very heavy. With our cold winters that really isn't a big deal.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:22 AM

Christmas stockings - can add trims to spice them up!
Old 11-24-2019, 01:29 PM

I have my grandmother's graduation gift in the back of my SUV. It has lived a full and useful life for over 50 years. It was a tied postcard scrap quilt. About 15 years ago, I replaced the backing and binding with a light weight upholstery cotton. It became the car quilt and was always folded in half with the backing out. Eventually, the postcard blocks have all shredded so I have been wondering what to do with it. It hasn't enough good left for a cutter anything. I think a humble trip to the burn pile would finish it's noble life perfectly. It has worked very hard and deserves that final tribute. Thanks for posting.