Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What do you do with your charm packs? >
  • What do you do with your charm packs?

• What do you do with your charm packs?

Old 11-04-2015, 10:56 AM

The Pinwheels and Prairie Points baby quilt is made with one charm pack and a solid color. The pattern is on the Moda website. [ATTACH=CONFIG]534912[/ATTACH] Here's mine.
    Attached Thumbnails pinwheels-prairie-points-4.jpg  
    Old 11-04-2015, 12:04 PM

Charms are the perfect size to make a Twister lap quilt or table topper or table runner.
    Old 11-04-2015, 12:05 PM
    RST

I sometimes use a charm pack as a tool in stash reduction.

I put all the charms up on my design wall and look at them for a while (usually while I finish up another project).

Then I go through my scrap bins and pull everything I think could work well with the charms, and I add those scraps to the design wall. I often will delete a few pieces or even a colorway from the original charm pack at this point.

At this stage I start to get an idea of the pattern or style I want to make, which will further direct how many scraps I pull.

My finished quilt (full to queen sized) started with a charm pack, but then pulled in 2 or 3 times as many fabric choices from my stash of scraps. All the fabrics have some kind of cohesive element -- I end up with color schemes that are more sophisticated and daring than I might otherwise, and I achieve that great goal -- depleting some of the scraps.

It's a pretty economical way to make a quilt that feels modern without paying top dollar for all-new fabrics. Plus the quilt is truly unique -- nobody else has that particular combo of fabrics.

I love charm packs, but they don't get to sit around at my house. Any of those spares I pulled from my design end up in my scrap bins and find their way into the next scrappy project.
    Old 11-04-2015, 12:15 PM

I only have a few precut packs, and they are adorable. I use the little 2 1/2 inch ones for making hexies. They're a touch skimpy on folding the corners but it'll be fine when they get sewn together.
    Old 11-04-2015, 12:32 PM

I use them for leaders/enders and make hsts with a solid. Right now I'm using 2 charm packs with neutral backgrounds and making a sampler with large 16" blocks as a throw for our couch. With sashing it will end up as 64x80. My other favorite thing to do with them is incorporate them into 6" paper pieced blocks. I've got two different pping projects doing 6" blocks going right now and they are both so much fun!
    Old 11-04-2015, 12:58 PM
    Power Poster

I buy them mostly for to use for my Go. Layer cakes are perfect for the blocks on board dies.
    Old 11-04-2015, 01:03 PM

A Disappearing9Patch used two charm packs and a few self cut squares for a large throw. One charm pack and a pale coordinate made a baby MSQC Falling Charms. I have pinwheels started. HSTs with a pastel. Eleanor Burns 'Charmed' was another winner.
    Old 11-04-2015, 02:29 PM

I use charm packs as I have neuropathy and detest cutting fabric. I have done mostly dissappearing nine patch in various designs. So much you can do w/them. I made a bunch of lap quilts.
    You can mix in strips of a solid tone like creams, tans and white as filler sashing or border. I use solid jelly rolls for binding. Lots of fun.
    Old 11-04-2015, 02:32 PM

I like using charm packs for D4P - I made a few quilts with that pattern and really liked how they turned out. Right now I am working on a quilt with 5" square but I am setting them on a point - just for something different. I was going to attach the pattern, but I can't find the attach file option here. The pattern is called Charm Friday. I am not doing the 9 patch blocks. Everything 5" squares
    Old 11-04-2015, 04:51 PM

It's enough for a baby quilt . . .table runner, pillow, etc.

Moda bakeshop has tons of "recipes" for their cut goods. Just click Charm packs on the right, for LOTS of free patterns.