Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with your empty thread spools???? >

What do you do with your empty thread spools????

What do you do with your empty thread spools????

Old 06-22-2011, 04:51 AM

Preschools, churches, vacation bible schools, keep these types of things for future projects. Does your town have a teachers supply store? My store has all kinds of things like plastic strawberry baskets, corks, styrofoam trays, yarn, etc.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by pnptrapp
Growing up we used them to make furniture for our doll houses! We also used them to make dolls, adn other things. right now I don't have any empties but will probably find a way to recycle them into toys for my two little boys!
I saw a doll bed made out of wooden ones. It was soooo cute, I now can't throw any of them away. :?
Old 06-22-2011, 04:56 AM

I just brought some wooden spools at a flea market, I am going to put red, white and blue fabric around the spool from my scraps and put them in a large clear vase for 4th of July decoration.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:09 AM

When I was much younger, I heard someone say they went to an estate auction and there was a bushel basket full of empty spools. They thought that was impossible to do. So I started saving them, and if I put all my boxes full all into a bushel basket, I would probably have a couple bushels full. Someone can laugh at me when my kids have my estate sale.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:10 AM

My DH fastened them to a beautiful piece of maple at regular intervals, and hung it for a curtain rod in my sewing studio. I made curtains with cute little ties and hung the tie onto each spool - turned out cute :-)
Old 06-22-2011, 05:14 AM

When I was little, my brother and I put one on a long string and hung it from a beam in our kitchen- we used it to play our version of ping pong. The best part was the "ball" never hit the floor!
Old 06-22-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I throw them away. I don't have space to keep things like that.
Me too. Out they go. I throw away scraps too even though I know that's a no-no.
Yup, garbage. Life's too short to save all the garbage just because it might have a use sometime in the future if you think long enough about what that use might be. :shock: :lol:
Old 06-22-2011, 05:17 AM

Thanks for all the good ideas. My granddaughter just got her first doll house. I think I'm making doll furniture. Oh, btw, I save them. Can't toss them.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:17 AM

Members of our guild save all kinds of thread spools for a fellow member who passes them on to her sister who is a kindergarten teacher - they can be used for all kinds of kiddie crafts!
Old 06-22-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by kyrose
There are several uses for spools. I have a cute shelf that the posts that hold the shelves are spools strung on heavy wire..... .
I remember making one of these in Vacation Bible School way back in the mid-50's. The shelves had already been cut out and holes drilled in corners. Made a cute little 3 tier shelf. Don't know what ever happend to it. Seems it was a bit wobbily but I am thinking now that one could run quarter inch dowels down the holes and that would make it more stable. For any of you who are handi-type folks.