Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Do You Do With Your Leftover Binding Strips? >

What Do You Do With Your Leftover Binding Strips?

What Do You Do With Your Leftover Binding Strips?

Old 02-08-2011, 06:17 PM

Some interesting ideas as to how or what to use them for!
Old 02-09-2011, 01:36 AM

After reading re: Phone Book quilt, I decided to make a block. Didn't use the binding strips as I make my own binding, but used fabric strips just to try out the method. Finished one block. It turned out a beautiful 8 inch block. Question? are all phone books the same size? Rather than making a quilt, I'm using the suggestion to make Pot Holders. I always sell sets of 2 potholders. I am going to try to pick strips alike so I will have enough for two. Then, a plain colored backing 1.5 inches bigger than the block, turn that extra over for binding. Be sure you miter the corners then sew matching tabs for hanging to each one. I know I'm sorta of rambling, but it is the middle of the night and I just needed to empty my mind so I can go back to sleep.

So far, with this new computer, I havn't learned how to post a pic. Will try again. If you get something weird, just remember the source. ME

Got a picture to come through. Not a bad one either. A purple Iris in my garden of my former home.

Purple Iris at my former home.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]166623[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-166618.jpe  
Old 02-09-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rettie V.Grama
After reading re: Phone Book quilt, I decided to make a block. Didn't use the binding strips as I make my own binding, but used fabric strips just to try out the method. Finished one block. It turned out a beautiful 8 inch block. Question? are all phone books the same size? Rather than making a quilt, I'm using the suggestion to make Pot Holders. I always sell sets of 2 potholders. I am going to try to pick strips alike so I will have enough for two. Then, a plain colored backing 1.5 inches bigger than the block, turn that extra over for binding. Be sure you miter the corners then sew matching tabs for hanging to each one. I know I'm sorta of rambling, but it is the middle of the night and I just needed to empty my mind so I can go back to sleep.

So far, with this new computer, I havn't learned how to post a pic. Will try again. If you get something weird, just remember the source. ME

Got a picture to come through. Not a bad one either. A purple Iris in my garden of my former home.
We get phone books from two companies and they are slightly different sizes. Take an old blade from your whizzy whacker and cut them to suit. You can cut multiple layers at one time.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:54 AM

just google phone book quilt....cool idea...I thing I will try
Old 02-09-2011, 05:56 AM
Banned

They go in my Mile a Minute box after I've ironed them open.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:25 PM

I can't stand to throw them away either, I save then in a small basket by my machine and when I do a really scrappy scrap quilt I sew them together.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RkayD
have you seen this ModaBakeShop tute? would work great for binding scraps sewn together...

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2011/02/...-roll-rug.html
what a brilliant idea.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by happyscrappy
i save them and sew them together for binding for my scrappy quilts. i do make alot of those, as they are my favortie.
Exactly! It is an excellent solution <wave>
Old 02-16-2011, 02:22 PM

I haven't done that many quilts, but I save mine also. And I usually make way more than I need. I have used some to finish the edges on [at least one] x-bag, and the hem of a sweatshirt after I removed the ribbing.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:10 PM

I use my leftover binding strips in log cabin quilts or in they are wide enough,trip around the world,or 9 patch centers.