Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you envision? >

what do you envision?

what do you envision?

Old 01-14-2009, 01:07 PM

Here is fabric for my grandson's toddler bed quilt. What do you think would be a nice pattern for a 2 year old? He loves balls- has a ball pit, basketball hoop and golf set.

I was thinking 8 inch squares- alternating the blue and sport fabric. Then borders of the different types of balls. In the blue squares I was going to quilt the different balls and one with Noah's name in it.

I'm open to ideas! Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails attachment-50992.jpe  
Old 01-14-2009, 01:19 PM

Thats a great idea. Good fabric for him.
If you want to get more complicated get some of the beige backgrd fabric and make snowball blocks with the blue and beige.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:53 PM

I love your fabric, it's going to make a wonderful quilt for him. I have used the split rail fence on a couple of young people's quilt. It's easy, fast & they always love it. Keep us posted as how you decide to make it.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:00 PM

Love the fabrics you've chosen -- they are perfect for a little boy.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:48 AM

I agree with Loretta;Sometimes it is "all about the fabric". I'd keep it very simple. Have you seen the book to make Big Block Quilts? That way, you aren't chopping up the fabric too much. Have fun.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:52 AM

Sounds good. Can't wait to see it when it is done.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:51 AM

Okay, I'm going to put my bobbin in my mouth, but, here's my thinking...I know he's a toddler and you are going to do this for his bed, but, it will always remain a keepsake I am sure. So, here's MHO..why not pull some more colors for the solids and make a big star for the 'star'!:))Using each of the sports fabrics and more color from the other fabrics, like the reds, golds (from the bats), etc. I'm sure whatever you decide it will look super for they are all fun fabrics to play on!! Anxious to see your creation! Skeat

If you want to do squares, what about a pattern like this called 'scrap squares' at: http://quilterscache.com/Products.html

or a star called square and points at: http://quilterscache.com/S/SquareandPointsBlock.html
Old 01-16-2009, 05:58 AM

I can almost see his excitment. He is going to love it. Big blocks is definitely the way to go with such great fabric.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:57 AM

Great idea Skeat! I did get some coppery color to match the basketballs. I was going to use it as a small border before the larger borders. I was looking for the tan color. Of course I only went 1 place so maybe my fabric choices are not complete. So- my thinking can be opposite of the original-

Stars of the different ball fabric, surrounded by the tan- if I can find it, if not, the blue will work. Then thinner border of blue (or coppery pumpkin color) and wide border of sports theme fabric. I think a few more sport fabrics will work to make it more scrappy. But I think the 3 I have might be OK.

But I do have a big block quilt book- I will have to look through this too. So something too simple is now going to look GREAT!

I need to go home to play with the fabric. And another trip to the LQS- such torture. :)

Thank you!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:58 PM

Barbm, I am so glad I could entice you to 'have' to go to that LQS!LOL It is going to be a great quilt and you have a great idea w/the play on those colors! It will be a quilt he will wear out I am sure! Can't wait to see the outcome! Skeat