Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you guys have luck selling? >

what do you guys have luck selling?

what do you guys have luck selling?

Old 04-07-2018, 03:14 AM

"Snap" bags. The ones with the retractable ruler in the top of the bag (small size for coins sells best). Potholders. Small tabletoppers are all some of the things that sell in an antique/collectible shop that I consign to. Recently pillows have sold. Make them with the envelope back and seasonal.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:22 AM

I would do table runners, or table mats. Less material is needed, they make up quickly. You can take a couple of your quilt patterns and only make two or three rows for a table runner. Bing, Bam, Boom done!!
Old 04-07-2018, 04:00 AM

Since it's a grocery store, maybe you could try re-usable grocery bags....and use up your scraps to make them. Maybe pot holders or other kitchen items. I would start with small things.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:07 AM

Checkbook covers, microwave bowls, tissue holders, table runners, purses and bags, placemats, mug rugs, throw pillows or pillow covers, pillow cases
Eyeglass cases, baby quilts, Christmas tree skirts, ornaments, potholders, walker bags, wallhangings.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:19 AM

A red/black Checker board with a box of checkers.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:22 AM

I sell quilts - BUT - i only do throw or lap size and I have a system for how I buy, what I make and where I sell so that I can make a profit. This has taken me years and years to develop. (I have been selling many different items in a small shop and online for over 10 years.) My suggestion is that you make smaller items and tie them into what your area/market will want. This is a shop attached to a grocery ?? Make sets of placemats, table runner, pot holders, wine bottle bags. Make some out of the same fabrics so folks could buy a couple matching items to give as a gift. For the last few years I have been selling lots of the fold n' stitch wreaths in various styles. I have a small tag showing the different ways to use them (wreath, centerpiece with candle or vase, holding cutlery at a buffet table or with a raised cake plate). One thing we sell dozens of is the soup bowl microwave potholders. Make sure you have a shelf label saying what they are and attach a small card stating they are for reheating, not long cooking, as a safety measure. Another big seller for us is the full body bibs for babies (they have longer legs with a button strap to go around leg). We make them reversible will cotton on one side and flannel on the other. Start out with most of your items being $10 - $20 with maybe one larger ticket item to draw their attention. But - you still need to be very good about your purchasing of materials. You will not be able to make any profit by buying fabric and notions at retail pricing. You must get super sales, clearance, after season purchasing. I rarely, rarely pay more $4 per yard of fabric and often a lot less. For pricing, the 2 basic rules are take ALL your materials cost and times it by 3 or take all of your costs and add an hourly wage. These formulas depend on the product, but you will find they often result in very close numbers. Just try to keep it fun and interesting, do not overwhelm yourself with trying to get a lot of product quickly, your quality will suffer. Make a few items and group them in a small display, grow the display as you complete more items rather than start with a big space and try to fill it. Good luck - it is a really good feeling when someone gives you money for something you create!!!!
Old 04-07-2018, 06:27 AM

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice! I do appreciate it all. Now I have plenty of ideas, I just have to do the work ha ha ha
Old 04-07-2018, 06:41 AM

Baby blankets...pin cushions???
Old 04-08-2018, 03:37 AM

I sell a lot of refrigerator door handle covers and wine coasters.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]592422[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails fridge-cover-handles.jpg  
Old 04-08-2018, 06:06 AM

Default sorry, pictures were smaller when I previewed them.

I do love my refrigerator handle covers and so does anyone who sees them. Also, I think kitchen mats for hot things. Think about things you would buy. Most people probably would not buy big ticket items. Just my opinion.
so[ATTACH=CONFIG]592423[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]592424[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_20170108_135633728.jpg   img_20170815_084326470.jpg