Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you like about binding? >

What do you like about binding?

What do you like about binding?

Old 08-25-2012, 08:33 AM

I feel like it's the icing on the cake. I Love icing and I love cake so wqhen I finish, I can have a nice piece of cake with icing and not feel guilty!!!
Old 08-25-2012, 08:37 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by LivelyLady View Post
I'm with the others who enjoy the binding process, especially now that I do the invisible ladder stitch which involves no pins, glue, nor clips.
My sister taught me the invisible ladder stitch when I bound my first quilt. I loved how it turned out. It was truly invisible. I didn't know the name for it until I read your post just now, so thanks for telling me what it's called. It takes me a bit longer than whipstitching, but so worth it.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:09 AM

Choosing the binding fabric is just as much fun as piecing the quilt! I love using stripes cut on the bias for mine, as that just adds more excitement to the finished quilt. Plus... most of my quilts are little ones.. yes, I waste some fabric, but the final result is worth it to me.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:48 AM

I like to do bindings. In fact at our service bee, I try to get as many bindings to do as are available. I like to stitch by hand in the evenings in the living room with my husband. At least we can share some of my sewing time rather than just me cooped up in my sewing room. At first they were more difficult, but the more you do the easier to finish. I can take them with me when we have doctor appontments or traveling in the car. It's just one of the steps to quiliting. The next time I get out to Phoenix I'll find you and if you have any more to bind I'll give you a hand.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:31 AM

I love hand sewing the binding on the back... especially in the winter when it's chilly and I can have the quilt laying over my lap and watch a good movie...
Old 08-25-2012, 10:55 AM

I'm with you.....I like absolutely, positively NOTHING about binding. I follow my grandmother's habit of bringing the backing to the front as about a 1" "binding" and sewing it down by machine, so I avoid binding at all.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:46 PM

The quiet time for me as I do it sitting in front of the TV and just relax as I sew. Also it is the final touch to a quilt and time for a new one to start.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:22 PM

I like to bind quilts. For me it's relaxing...and allows me to "wind down" from the quiltmaking/quilting.

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I am trying to find my nitch in binding. Me and binding don't go together. There isn't one aspect of it I like except the end result, when it's finished. So, if you will share with me what you like about binding, maybe it will get me to start binding. I have so many quilts to bind and no drive to do any of them. I want to start a new quilt, but I really need to bind these first. I want to like to bind really badly!
Old 08-25-2012, 03:48 PM

I love to use bias binding that has no seams to deal with. Cutting the binding in one continuous loop is easy for me. And there is really no waste fabric when done this way. I also prefer bias binding because it holds up better. I've experienced what happens with binding cut on the grain. It ravels at the fold over the quilt front to back and happens much sooner than the life of a well used quilt.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:36 PM

Being finished with it! LOL. Not my favorite part of quilting. LOL