Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you practice your Free Motion Quilting on? >

What do you practice your Free Motion Quilting on?

What do you practice your Free Motion Quilting on?

Old 07-13-2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pat G
Originally Posted by nursie76
Originally Posted by aneternalpoet
Ok, that explains it some for me.. Not sure how to drop the feed dogs, but will find out. But what you are saying about the special foot, that means to buy the quilting foot that is talked about? My adopted Quilting Mommy, lol, explained about that foot, so it sounds like I need to find out how to order one for my machine, since Walmart probably doesnt have them..
thanks.
I think you may be talking about a walking foot. that is used to feed several layers of fabric through the machine evenly. The foot that is used for free motion quilting is often called a darning foot. What type of machine do you have? If you can check with your dealer and explain what you want to do with it.
No, not a walking foot. The foot has a round circle (mine is a clear plastic) on it that the needle goes through & it also has a spring. I think they're also called darning foot. I'm sure others could explain it better.
Sometime the darning foot is known as embroidery foot. In the olden days u used no foot at all for darning/embroidery. Just a needle and watch fingers. My friend managed to sew herself to the sewing machine years ago and I purchased a foot soon after, as I was the one having to remove needle from finger and I'm pathetic if it comes to other peoples blood. :thumbdown:
Old 07-13-2010, 09:37 PM

My first long piece of practice was the size of a twin bed and I did not want to throw it away so I put a binding around it, four pieces of elastic to the four corners and use it under my sheets on the twin bed. The second practice piece was the size of a lap or throw and granddaughters also practiced on it by signing their names in stitches. It is now a prized throw that they fight over when they spend the night. Now when I practice complicated stitches, I cut out a 12" sectionand plan to put them together for a quilt called "Practice makes perfect". Never waste around here.
doglover.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by aneternalpoet
I have never done any machine quilting, so going to jump right in there, and ask if free motion quilting is done using the same foot that is normally found on a new sewing machine? is free motion work, just whereever, and whatever area you want to stitch a design? ( :oops: blushing cuz I really feel dumb in asking.. But I am not like Dumb, and Dumber ( think Jim Carey ), I am more " I love it when a plan comes together" because I am forever and a day, figuring out I can do whatever I set my mind on.. hope someone can answer the question, lol.
It is not dumb to admit that there is something you don't understand. This is how we learn. The foot used in free motion quilting is like a darning foot or what is called a big foot, similar to a darning foot but with a larger surface on the quilt. Free motion quilting is done with the feed dogs down and you move the fabric around with your hands.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:35 AM

Great Idea!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:37 PM

Contact your local brother dealer and they can probably get you an instruction book.